Current Affairs 26th November, 2018
Posted on: 2018-11-26 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
26 November 2018
1. FAO to team up with Telangana for seed development
- Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations has offered to collaborate with Telangana for South-South Cooperation in the development of the seed sector in African countries.
- The offer by FAO was made in Rome with Principal Secretary (Agriculture) C. Parthasarathi and Director of Telangana State Seed and Organic Certification Authority K. Keshavulu, FAO assistant director-general Bukar Tijani said Indian seed industry is gradually expanding its market and establishing business operations in the African countries as those countries grow similar crops as India.
2. InterGlobe Aviation Chairman Devadas Mallya Mangalore passed away
- InterGlobe Aviation said its chairman Devadas Mallya Mangalore passed away in the morning of November 25, 2018. InterGlobe Aviation is the country’s largest airline IndiGo.
- Mr. Devadas Mallya was also a non-executive independent director. He had served as the CMD of Bank of Baroda and Bank of Maharashtra.
3. Bihar CM Nitish Kumar unveiled statue of Lord Buddha at Rajgir
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar unveiled a 70-foot-tall statue of Lord Buddha at Rajgir in Nalanda district.
- Mr. Kumar unveiled the statue of Lord Buddha, the second tallest statue of Buddha in the country, in the presence of Mahabodhi temple’s chief monk Bhante Chalinda amid the chanting of hymns.
- The statue has been installed above a 16 metre radius pedestal in the middle of the lake Ghora Katora and has been made from 45,000 cubic foot pink sandstone.
- Ghora Katora lake is a historical place. It is a natural lake surrounded by five hills where Lord Buddha's statue has been installed.
4. Uber Eats appointed Alia Bhatt as its first brand ambassador of India
- Uber Eats announced the appointment of actress Alia Bhatt as its brand ambassador.
- India will be the first country where the global company appointed an ambassador.
5. Nariman Light House to be inaugurated
- A rooftop memorial at Nariman House, the Jewish centre in Colaba, is to be formally inaugurated on Monday, the tenth anniversary of the Mumbai terror attacks.
- The memorial will be called the Nariman Light House.
- The waterfall monument constitutes the names of all the victims of 26/11 terror attack including the policemen and National Security Guards and plaques of the sites where the terrorists attacked, surrounded with lush green plants.
6. Monaco to host 2019 Laureus Awards on February 18 2019
- The ‘Oscars of sports’, the Laureus World Sports Awards 2019 will be held in Monaco on February 18 next year.
- Sport’s premier global awards ceremony will celebrate the best of 2018 across eight individual and team categories, with the winners collecting a prized Laureus Statuette.
- Sports fans around the world will also get to play their part by voting for the Laureus Sporting Moment of the Year Award.
- Former India cricket captains Kapil Dev, Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar are members of the Laureus Academy.
7. Union Government to set up a domestic Gold Council in India for promotion of growth in the jewellery sector
- Union Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu announced the government’s intention to set up a domestic Gold Council in India for the growth in the jewelry sector.
- The main objective of the council is to constitute an integrated Gold policy to address all the issues faced by the sector.
- The commerce and the Finance Ministry will be working together in this regard.
- This will help make sure that gems and jewelry business does not suffer from financial issues and would also extend domestic support to the exports.
8. UP government cleared the proposal to build Ram statue
- The Uttar Pradesh government has cleared a proposal to build a 221-meter-tall statue of Lord Ram on the banks of the Saryu river in Ayodhya.
9. Uttarakhand cabinet approved renaming of Dehradun Jolly Grant airport after former PM Vajpayee
- The Uttarakhand government chaired by Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat, approved a total of 27 proposals including renaming the Dehradun airport after former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
10. Indian Constitution Day is observed on 26 November
- On this day in 1949, the constitution was adopted which came into force on January 26, 1950, marking the beginning of a new era in the history of India.
- On 19th November 2015, during the year-long celebration of the 125th birth anniversary of Dr. B R Ambedkar, Government of India declared November 26th as the Constitution Day.
- Previously this day was celebrated as Law Day.
11. India To Host 50th Union World Conference On Lung Health In 2019
- The 50th Union World Conference on Lung Health will be held in Hyderabad, a global organization working in this field announced.
- The conference ‘Ending the Emergency: Science, Leadership, Action’ which will start in October 2019, the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease stated.
12. MoRTH issued notification for inclusion of Quadricycles as Non Transport Vehicles
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) notified the insertion of the item ‘Quadricycle’ as a ‘non transport’ vehicle under the Motor Vehicles Act 1988.
- A Quadricycle is a vehicle of the size of a 3-wheeler but with 4 tyres and fully covered like a car.
Believe you can succeed!