Current Affairs 30th November, 2018
Posted on: 2018-11-30 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
30 November 2018
1. President of India Inaugurates the 2nd International Ambedkar Conclave
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the 2nd International Ambedkar Conclave today (November 30, 2018) in New Delhi as part of the commemoration of Constitution Day. The Conclave is being organised by the Forum of SC and ST Legislators and Parliamentarians and the Dr Ambedkar Chamber of Commerce. .
2. India to Chair Kimberley Process from 1st January 2019
- The Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) Plenary 2018, was held in Brussels, Belgium, from 12th-16thNovember 2018. EU handed over the Chairmanship of KPCS to India from 1st January, 2019.
- Dr. Ajay Bhushan Pandey takes over as Revenue Secretary
- Dr. Ajay Bhushan Pandey (IAS: MH 1984) took over as the Union Revenue Secretary upon superannuation of Dr Hasmukh Adhia here today. Outgoing Finance Secretary & Revenue Secretary, Dr Hasmukh Adhia welcomed Dr Pandey in his office. A Maharashtra cadre officer, Dr. Pandey will continue to head the Unique Identification authority of India (UIDAI) as its CEO and will also hold his position as the Chairman of GSTN.
3. India, UK naval exercise Konkan 18 held in Goa
- The Royal Navy of UK will be represented by HMS Dragon, a Type 45 Class Destroyer equipped with an integral Wildcat helicopter.
- The Indian Navy will field INS Kolkata, the first ship of latest Kolkata class destroyers, equipped with integral Seaking and an IN submarine during the sea phase between December 2 to 6.
- In addition, Indian Navy's maritime patrol aircraft Dornier will also participate in the exercise.
4. Uttarakhand adjudged best state; Himachal pavilion gets silver medal at India International Trade Fair, New Delhi
- The states were awarded due to their pavilions showcasing potential to boost tourism and the promotion of local products.
- For Uttarakhand, Kedarnath reconstruction work, Home Stay scheme initiated by the Department of Tourism, nutraceutical products based on mountain grains, handloom products, and handicrafts were displayed at the Uttarakhand pavilion.
- For Himachal Pradesh, the traditional products like Kullu and Kinnauri shawls, Chamba Rumaal, Kangra and Thangka paintings and wooden and metal craft manufactured by the rural entrepreneurs were exhibited at the Himachal pavilion.
5. Slovenia becomes only NATO country with female Army Chief
- Slovenia became the first North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Country with the female Army Chief after the appointment of Major General Alenka Ermenc to the post of Head of its Army.
- The 55 years Old former Army Commander, Alenka Ermenc started her military career in 1991 when Slovenia won independence from former Yugoslavia.
6. Bengaluru's proposed 102km elevated corridor to cost 26,000 cr
- Bengaluru's Elevated Corridor Project, covering a distance of 102 kilometres with six corridors, is estimated to cost between ₹25,000 and ₹26,000 crore.
- The proposed elevated corridors along with the Peripheral Ring Road are proposed as the answers to decongest the city's roads.
- The project, expected to be completed by 2025-2026, awaits Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy's nod.
7. Global Water Monitor & Forecast Watch List released by IScience US based limited liability Corporation
- According to the latest edition of Global Water Monitor & Forecast Watch List (November 2018), released by IScience (US-based limited liability Corporation), Water deficits will increase and intensify in India in 2019.
- Exceptional water deficits occur throughout Gujarat in the west and severe to exceptional deficits from Madhya Pradesh through Karnataka, as well as in Punjab, Rajasthan, Haryana, and India’s far northeast.
- The forecast predicts severe to exceptional surplus water for regions including Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Mizoram. Moderate to severe deficits were forecast for Bihar.
- The monsoon rain deficits, caused due to the effect of El Niño, have caused drought-like conditions in almost a third of Indian districts.
- The months of May through July (2019), indicates primarily moderate deficits in India and some surpluses in Jammu and Kashmir, northern Pakistan, along the Gandaki River in central Nepal, and pockets of Tamil Nadu.
8. Second India-UAE strategic conclave held in Abu Dhabi
- The two day Second edition of India-UAE Strategic Conclave organized by Economic Times, India was held in the Capital of United Arab Emirates (UAE), Abu Dhabi.
- Indian Ambassador to the UAE, Mr. Navdeep Suri inaugurated the conclave where Key Business leaders and senior government officials lay down the blueprint to improve Economic cooperation between the two countries and explore the opportunities to enhance trade.
9. Karnataka Government and Numa launched DataCity urban challenge in Bengaluru
- Karnataka government in partnership with start-up accelerator Numa, launched an initiative called ‘DataCity’ in Bengaluru.
- It will be jointly organised by Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board (BWSSB) and French utility company Suez.
10. Reggae music gets into heritage list of UNESCO
- Reggae music, with artists like Bob Marley, won international fame and secured a spot on the United Nations’ list of global cultural treasures.
- UNESCO, the world body’s cultural and scientific agency, added the genre that originated in Jamaica to its collection of intangible cultural heritage deemed worthy of protection and promotion.
- Reggae music emerged in the late 1960s out of Jamaica’s ska and rocksteady styles, also drawing influence from American jazz and blues.
- It quickly became popular in the U. S. as well as in Britain, where many Jamaican immigrants had moved in the post-World War years.
11. IIT Kharagpur, University of Auckland ink pact for research tie-up
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur and University of Auckland signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to foster academic exchange and research collaboration, faculty exchange and visiting/adjunct appointments and Student Mobility.
- It is the first strategic partnership of University of Auckland with a Higher Educational Institute of India.
12. Pakistan to turn Rishi Kapoors ancestral home into museum
- The Pakistan government has decided to convert Bollywood star Rishi Kapoor’s ancestral home in the Qissa Khwani Bazar in Peshawar into a museum soon. This is after the request by the actor.
13. Eight States achieve 100% household electrification under Saubhagya scheme
- 8 States which achieved 100% household electrification under Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana - Saubhagya scheme are Madhya Pradesh, Tripura, Bihar, Jammu and Kashmir, Mizoram, Sikkim, Telangana and West Bengal
14. Georgia elects Salome Zurabishvili as first woman president
- Salome Zurabishvili has won Georgia's presidential election, becoming the first woman to hold the office.
- The new president is expected to take office on Dec. 16.
- Zurabishvili, a government-backed independent candidate, won with 59. 52 percent of some 1. 98 million votes cast.
- Grigol Vashadze -- backed by former Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili -- got some 40. 48 percent of the vote.
15. President Kovind presented the top IAF honour for Guwahati helicopter unit
- During his two day visit to Assam, President Ram Nath Kovind took part in India Air Force's special programme held in Borjhar.
16. ISRO launched HysIS into orbit
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched the Hyper Spectral Imaging Satellite (HysIS), being dubbed ‘Sharp Eye’, into space along with 30 other foreign satellites on board the workhorse PSLV rocket on 29th November.
- HysIS with a mission life of five years was placed in an orbit 636 km above the earth. It will travel over the poles and always face the son.
- While 23 satellites were from the US, the rest were from Australia, Canada, Columbia, Finland, Malaysia, the Netherlands, and Spain.
- These satellites were commercially contracted for launch through Antrix Corporation Limited, the commercial arm of ISRO.
Believe you can succeed!