Current Affairs 02nd November, 2018
Posted on: 2018-11-02 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
2 November 2018
1. PM launches historic Support and Outreach Initiative for MSME sector
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, today launched a historic support and outreach programme for the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector.
- As part of this programme, the Prime Minister unveiled12 key initiatives which will help the growth, expansion and facilitation of MSMEs across the country.
- PM unveils 12 key initiatives
- 59 minute loan portal to enable easy access to credit for MSMEs
- Mandatory 25 percent procurement from MSMEs by CPSEs
- Ordinance for simplifying procedures for minor offences under Companies Act
2. President gives assent to promulgation of the Companies Amendment (Ordinance), 2018
- The recommendation of the Union Cabinet for promulgation of the Companies Amendment (Ordinance), 2018 has been assented to by the President of India.
- The Ordinance, which has been promulgated today is based on the recommendations of the Committee appointed by the Government to review offences under the Companies Act, 2013.
3. Malayalam film Olu to be the opening film at 49th International Film Festival of India
- The feature film Jury, headed by acclaimed film director and screenwriter, Rahul Rawail, selected the film ‘Olu’, directed by Shaji N Karun as the opening feature film of the Indian Panorama Section of 49th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) 2018.
- IFFI 2018 would be celebrated from 20th November to 30th November in Goa. Four selected mainstream films include 'Tiger Zinda Hai', 'Padmaavat' and 'Raazi'.
4. Tata Steel named as official partner of men's Hockey World Cup
- Men's hockey World Cup 2018 to be held at Bhubaneswar, Odisha from November 28 to December 16.
- Tata Steel is the 10th-largest steel producer in the world.
- Tata Steel is the first private sector company in India to start a hockey academy.
- Hockey India CEO - Elena Norman.
5. Pather Panchali on BBCs list of 100 best foreign language films
- Pather Panchali, Satyajit Ray’s epic masterpiece, has been included in BBC’s list of 100 best foreign language films and is the only film from India to feature in it.
- The film was released in 1955 and the first in Ray’s Apu trilogy was placed at number 15 in the list, which was topped by Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai.
6. India to hold 2 meetings ahead of Poland climate talks
- The UN climate talks are to be held in Katowice, Poland in December.
- But before the talks India is hosting two key meetings in New Delhi with a group of countries called the LMDC, the ‘Like Minded Developing Countries’ that includes India, China, Venezuela and Iran and BASIC, which constitutes Brazil, South Africa, India, China.
7. India and South Korea signed a MoU for strengthening cooperation in the field of Tourism
- Cabinet approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and South Korea for strengthening cooperation in the field of Tourism.
- The U.S. revoked duty import of at least 50 Indian products
- The U.S. revoked duty-free concessions on the import of at least 50 Indian products, mostly from handloom and agriculture sectors.
- The revocation is to reflect the Trump administration’s tough stand on trade-related issues with New Delhi.
8. Qatar to host World Corporate Games in 2019
- Qatar will host the 23rd edition of the World Corporate Games between 6 and 9 November 2019.
- This is the first time the World Corporate Games will be held in the Middle East.
- Nearly 8,000 international and local participants will take part.
- Mahendra Singh Foundation Inc appoints Aishwarya Sharma as their India brand ambassador
- Mahendra Singh Foundation (MSF), a New York-based organization, has appointed Aishwarya Sharma as its India brand ambassador for takethepowerback project.
- Aishwarya Sharma has a blog named Figuramoda where she speaks on various topics through her fashion blog posts.
- She is a fashion activist.
9. G.N.Bajpai stepped down from the board of IL and FS
- G.N.Bajpai, the former chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), has stepped down from the newly constituted board of Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services (IL&FS
- Bajpai is currently a non-executive director and chairman of Future Generali India Insurance Co. Ltd.
10. Lt General PC Thimmaya assumed charge as General Officer Commander-in-Chief of ARTRAC
- Lieutenant General PC Thimmaya took charge as the 21st General Officer Commander-in-Chief of Shimla-based Army Training Command (ARTRAC) facility.
- He was earlier posted as the Commandant of Army War College in MHOW, Madhya Pradesh.
- He passed out from the Indian Military Academy (IMA) with the Sword of Honour in 1981.
11. Air Marshal Pradeep Padmakar Bapat VSM takes over as the Air Officer-in-Charge Administration of IAF
- Air Marshal Pradeep Padmakar Bapat VSM succeeds Air Marshal HN Bhagwat AVSM VM who retired on 31 October 2018.
- Air Marshal PP Bapat was commissioned in the Indian Air Force in the Administrative Branch on 28 May 1983. He was commissioned as a Fighter Controller.
- Earlier, he carried out the responsibilities of Director General (Works & Ceremonials).
- He was awarded ‘Vishisht Seva Medal’ by President of India in 2014.
- He represented Madhya Pradesh twice in National Cycle Polo tournament.
12. Emerging Trends in Aviation Engineering and Logistics AVIAMAT 2018 held in New Delhi
- A two-day seminar on ‘Emerging Trends in Aviation Engineering and Logistics’ (AVIAMAT-2018) concluded at Air Force Auditorium, Subroto Park, in New Delhi.
- It was organized by the Indian Air Force and Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa delivered the keynote address.
13. K J Alphons presides over the Program and Budget Committee meeting of UNWTO
- Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism, K. J. Alphons attended the 109th session of United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Executive Council in Manama, Bahrain from 30th October to 1st November 2018.
- India will be the chair of Programme and Budget Committee of UNWTO Executive Council till 2021.
- He also met the Secretary-General of UNWTO, Mr. Zurab Pololikashvili.
- They discussed involving UNWTO in developing tourism and establishing Global Public-Private Partnerships.
14. Union Cabinet approves Renaming Of Jharsuguda Airport, Odisha as Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the renaming of Jharsuguda Airport, Odisha as “Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda”.
- Veer Surendra Sai is a well-known freedom fighter of Odisha.
- The Jharsuguda airport in his name will fulfill the long-pending demand of the Odisha Government, which reflects the sentiments of the local public of the respective area.