Current Affairs 04th December, 2018
Posted on: 2018-12-04 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
4 December 2018
1. Delhi Daredevils renamed as Delhi Capitals ahead of 2019 IPL season
- The change in name comes close on the heels of JSW Sports picking up a 50 percent stake in the franchise.
2. Nagaland becomes second state to adopt pan-India women helpline
- Nagaland became the first state in the Northeast and second in the country, after Himachal Pradesh, to launch a pan-India single emergency number ‘112’ under the Emergency Response Support System (ERSS).
- The launch coincided with the state’s formation day and the inaugural day of the 2018 edition of the Hornbill Festival.
3. Croatia star Luka Modric wins Ballon d'Or to end Ronaldo, Messi era
- Midfielder Luka Modrić, who led Croatia to their first-ever FIFA World Cup final, won this year's Ballon d'Or.
- He was named 2018 FIFA World Cup's best player and had also won this year's The Best FIFA Men's Player award.
- This is the first time since 2007 that neither Cristiano Ronaldo nor Lionel Messi won the Ballon d'Or.
- France World Cup winner Kylian Mbappe won the Kopa Trophy - for the best player under the age of 21.
4. Common Mobility Card was launched in Delhi
- Delhi Transport Minister Kailash Gahlot launched the Common Mobility Card which can be used by commuters to travel aboard both Delhi metro trains and State-run buses.
- The ONE card, which is essentially the rebranded Delhi Metro smart card with the tagline ‘One Delhi.
- One Ride’ with the logos of all three transport operators in the city, the Delhi Metro, the Delhi Transport Corporation and the Delhi government.
5. First manned Soyuz mission to ISS was launched successfully
- After the October launch failure, a Soyuz rocket carrying Russian, American and Canadian astronauts took off from Kazakhstan and reached orbit on 3rd December in the first manned mission.
- Russian cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko, Anne McClain of NASA and David Saint-Jacques of the Canadian Space Agency were launched off for a six-and-a-half month mission on the International Space Station (ISS).
- After the rocket lifted off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Russian space agency Roscomos announced that the capsule was successfully launched into orbit.
6. UAE passport tops the Global Passport Power Rank 2018
- As per the ratings released by Passport Index, the United Arab Emirates has topped the Global Passport Power Rank 2018, emerging as the country with the most powerful passport in world.
- UAE passport holders can now fly to 113 countries without a visa, and 54 others with a visa-on-arrival.
- Singapore and Germany ranks second with 166 countries.
- India ranked 66th in Global Passport Power Rank 2018.
7. India celebrates the Indian Navy Day on 4th December
- The Indian Navy Day is celebrated on December 4 every year to commemorate Operation Trident, an attack on the Karachi harbor during the Indo-Pakistan war in 1971.
- The Indian Navy is the fifth largest in the world, employing 67,109 personnel.
8. Yes Bank appoints T.S Vijayan as an independent director to the board
- Yes Bank appointed T.S Vijayan, former Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) chairman, as an independent director on the board of the private sector bank with immediate effect.
- The board was formed by the bank to select the successor of its MD & CEO, Rana Kapoor, whose present term ends on January 31.
- He was the only external member in the search and selection committee.
- He has been given a five-year term.
- Mr.Vijayan’s appointment comes after a spate of resignations from the board which raised concerns over corporate governance practices among investors.
- Three board members had resigned in November. With the current appointment, the board now has eight members.
9. Ullas Narayana won Indias first international medal in ultra running
- Ullas Narayana became the first Indian individual medal winner in an international ultra running event by winning bronze in the 2018 International Association of Ultra Running (IAU) 24 Hour Asia & Oceania Championships in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Ultra races consisted of running over extremely long distances which are much longer than the traditional races.
- They are contested in 2 different types of race modalities: over a set distance or a set time.
10. Ravindra Kumar Verma assumes charge as Technical Member in the Appellate Tribunal for Electricity
Ravindra Kumar Verma took charge as Technical Member in the Appellate Tribunal for Electricity (APTEL), Ministry of Power, for a period of 3 years.
Justice Manjula Chellur, Chairperson of APTEL, administered the Oath of Office and Secrecy to Ravindra Kumar Verma.
11. Pawan Singh is the first Indian to be elected in ISSF judges committee
- Pawan Singh is also the Joint Secretary General of National Rifle Association of India (NRAI).
- He was a former coach of the Indian shooting team.
- Members of the administrative council of ISSF voted to select the committee, at the elections held at Munich.
- The Judges Committee consists of a Chairman and 7 members. It is responsible for the uniform application of shooting rules.
12. Qatar to pull out from OPEC
- Qatar is to leave the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) in January 2019 in order to focus on gas production.
- Qatar has been a member of OPEC since 1961, and the decision to pull out after all these decades comes at a turbulent time in Gulf politics, with Doha under a boycott by former neighboring allies, including Saudi Arabia, for 18 months.
- Qatar is the world's biggest supplier of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG), producing almost 30 percent of the world total.
- The decision to increase the supply of natural gas is to develop a future strategy based on growth and expansion, both in its activities at home and abroad.
13. Government holds Workshop on Developing Ganga Museum in New Delhi
- An international workshop on “Developing a Ganga Museum Concept: Exchanging Experiences and Ideas between India and Europe” was held in New Delhi. T
14. Nagaland signs MoU with Estonian academy on e-governance
- Nagaland government signed a five-year Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with e-Governance Academy of Estonia to provide advisory and technical knowledge for setting up of e-Governance Academy of Nagaland (e-GAN).
- The MoU is aimed at strengthening bilateral technical cooperation in the fields of information technology and e-governance.
Believe you can succeed!