Current Affairs 05th December, 2018
Posted on: 2018-12-05 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
5 December 2018
1. Kohli India's top-paid sportsperson of 2018 at 228 crore: Forbes
- Team India captain Virat Kohli has featured as the highest-earning sportsperson in the 2018 Forbes India Celebrity 100 list with ₹228.09-crore earnings.
2. Delhi govt to begin 10 day minimum wages enforcement campaign
- Labour and Employment Minister Gopal Rai said that the Delhi government will be carrying out a 10-day enforcement drive from December 10 as the government has said that the workers will be paid with higher minimum wages from December 10.
3. Government of India appointed Ajay Narayan Jha as new Finance Secretary
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi led Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has cleared Jha's appointment to the post after incumbent Hasmukh Adhia, a 1981-batch Gujarat cadre officer of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), retired on November 30.
- After Jha retires on 31 January, economic affairs secretary Subhash Chandra Garg, a 1983 batch Rajasthan carde IAS officer, who will become the senior most secretary in the ministry is likely to take charge as the finance secretary.
5. First India Japan Air Exercise SHINYUU Maitri 2018 began
- A bilateral air exercise ‘SHINYUU Maitri-18’, between the Japanese Air Self Defence Force (JASDF) and Indian Air Force (IAF) began on December 3, 2018 at Air Force Station Agra.
- The exercise will end on December 7, 2018.
- The theme of the exercise is joint Mobility/Humanitarian Assistance & Disaster Relief (HADR) on Transport aircraft. IAF is participating with An-32 and C-17 aircraft with aircrew & observers.
8. Jon Ridgeon appointed as CEO of International Association of Athletics Federations
- Ridgeon will take up the new role in March 2019. He will replace Frenchman Olivier Gers, who resigned from the post in March citing differences with the global governing body’s commercial strategy.
- He is former British record holder and silver medallist in the 110m hurdles in the 1987 World Championships in Rome.
- He also represented Great Britain in two Olympic Games - Seoul in 1988 and Atlanta in 1996.
10. Ministry of Home Affairs released a booklet titled A Handbook for Students on Cyber Safety to aware teenagers about online Crimes and Threats
- The Ministry of Home Affairs released a booklet in the English language titled “A Handbook for Students on Cyber Safety” to aware the Students and Adolescents about the cyber safety.
- The book explains the various kinds of Cyber-crimes like identity theft, job fraud, email spoofing and how children can overcome them.
- The booklet also address the problems associated with increased use of smartphones, Social Media, Online gaming.
13. State Bank of India ropes in Swapna Barman as brand ambassador for YONO
- State Bank of India roped in Asian Games gold medalist Swapna Barman as brand ambassador for its digital app YONO(You only need one).
15. Ada Hegerberg won the first ever women's Ballon d'Or
- Olympique Lyonnais striker Ada Hegerberg became the first woman to be awarded a Ballon d’Or at a grand ceremony in Paris.
- The 23-year-old was announced the first ever winner of the Women’s Ballon d’Or by former France international player David Ginola before she gave an inspiring speech encouraging more girls to play football.
- She has won four league and three Champions League titles with Lyon.
17. World Soil Day is observed on 5 December
- World Soil Day is celebrated annually on the 5th of December at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) headquarters in Rome, the regional offices and through national and local events.
- StopSoilPollution is the objective of this World Soil Day on 5 December and throughout the year.
20. Delhi government launched One card for ease of commute on metro, buses
- Delhi government announced the launch of a common mobility card called ‘One’, with a tagline of ‘One Delhi One Ride’, for the easy commute on public transport.
- It was launched by Delhi Transport Minister Kailash Gahlot and Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) managing director Mangu Singh.
- This would enable access to Metro and bus services with a single card at a 10 percent discount.
- A further provision of coverage of auto-rickshaws, taxis, RTVs and other modes of transport would be inducted under this card.
- The ONE card a background of the cubic grid in bright shades of red and yellow.
- It also has a circular unit with sketches of Metro trains, DTC buses, auto rickshaws and Delhi’s monuments around it.
21. Bahrain and Maharashtra Government Signs MoU on Fintech
- The Economic Development Board (EDB), the investment promotion arm of the Kingdom of Bahrain signed an MoU with the Maharashtra Government to provide a framework for Co-operation between the two authorities to promote FinTech in their respective markets.
23. Indian Navy to conduct Exercise sea vigil as a part of 2-month long Exercise TROPEX
- Indian Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba announced conduction of a 2-month long Theatre Level Operational Readiness Exercise (Tropex) in January 2019. It would end in March 2019.
- The main objective is to check on the coastal defence system This would test the combat capability of the Indian Navy, Indian Army, Indian Air Force, and Coast Guard, and would strengthen interoperability and joint operations in a complex conflict situation.
- About Sea vigil exercise: It is a yearly exercise that takes place on the Western Seaboard with the participation of over 45 ships from both the Western and Eastern Naval Commands of the Indian Navy.
- The following are the few examples of the participants in the sea vigil exercise: INS Vikramaditya, submarines including the nuclear powered Chakra, naval aircraft MiG-29K, helicopters as well as ships from the Coast Guard.
- Since its tri-service exercise troops from the Army and fighter aircraft from the Indian Air Force including the SU-30 MKI, Jaguars and the AWACs.
24. Delhi Minister Imran Hussain Gets PETA Hero to Animals Award
- Delhi Minister of Food Supplies, Environment and Forest and Elections Imran Hussain was awarded by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)-India for banning the Chinese Manjha, or the glass-coated kite strings, across Delhi.
- The award, named ‘Hero to Animals,’ was also given to three other individuals and companies that have pushed animal rights forward.
Believe you can succeed!