Current Affairs 06th December, 2018
Posted on: 2018-12-06 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
6 December 2018
1. WHO reported air pollution kills 7 million every year
- The 24th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP24) is being held in Katowice, Poland from 3rd to 14th December 2018.
- In that conference, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said that the exposure to air pollution causes 7 million deaths worldwide every year and costs an estimated $5.11 trillion in welfare losses globally.
2. Indian-origin woman Shamila Batohi named South Africa's 1st female chief prosecutor
- South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has appointed Indian-origin Shamila Batohi as the country's first female chief prosecutor.
3. Panama 1st Latin American nation to join Belt and Road Initiative
- Panama has become the first Latin American country to join China's Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- China established diplomatic relations with Panama last year.
4. PM to inaugurate India's longest railroad bridge on December 25
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Bogibeel Bridge, India's longest rail-cum-road bridge, falling in the eastern part of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh on December 25.
5. SC introduced Witness Protection Scheme, 2018 in India
- The Supreme Court (SC) introduced a witness protection regime in the country noting that one of the main reasons for witnesses turning hostile is that they are not given security by the State.
- It also announced that the Witness Protection Scheme, 2018 will come into effect immediately across all States.
6. Padma awardee Piyush Pandey named Ogilvy's global creative chief Officer
- WPP Plc.-owned creative agency, Ogilvy and Mather, has appointed Piyush Pandey as its global chief creative officer (CCO), effective 1 January 2019.
- With more than three decades of experience in the advertising industry, Pandey has created many memorable campaigns for brands such as Cadbury, Fevicol and Asian Paints, among others.
7. Union Government Sanctions 254 Projects Under National Mission for Clean Ganga
- The government sanctioned 254 projects worth over 24 thousand crore rupees under National Mission for Clean Ganga.
- As per Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Minister Nitin Gadkari, around five thousand crore rupees have been spent in the last four years under it.
- The Announcement was made at the India Water Impact Summit 2018 in New Delhi.
8. India and UAE signed 3,500 crore currency swap agreement
- This agreement will boost investment and enable direct trade without using dollars or other international currencies.
- The agreement was signed after the 12th India-UAE joint commission meeting co-chaired by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and the UAE's Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdulla bin Zayed al Nahyan in Abu Dhabi.
9. ISRO's heaviest satellite GSAT-11 launched, will increase internet speed
- France-based Arianespace successfully launched GSAT-11, the heaviest satellite built by ISRO from its port in French Guiana.
- Weighing 5,854 kg, the GSAT-11 will boost broadband speeds and provide high bandwidth connectivity with up to 14 gigabit per second (GBPS) data transfer speed.
- The satellite’s designed lifetime is more than 15 years.
10. SpaceX Launches 64 Satellites Aboard Reusable Rocket
- SpaceX successfully launched 64 small satellites, including India’s ExseedSAT-1 in the company’s largest-ever “rideshare” mission on a twice-reused Falcon 9 rocket that lifted off from a California launchpad.
- This is a new USA record.
11. Salman Khan tops Forbes' richest Indian celebrity list for third time
- Salman Khan has been named the highest-earning celebrity in India for the third time in a row by Forbes, with earnings of ₹253.25 crore.
- The second spot was captured by Indian cricket team skipper Virat Kohli, with Rs 228.09 crore to his name, to become the first sportsperson to reach the position.
- Akshay Kumar came third on the Forbes India Celebrity 100 2018 with Rs 185 crore, followed by Deepika.
- The fifth spot went to former Indian cricket team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni who earned Rs 101.77 crore during 2018.
12. Deepika Padukone becomes first woman to rank among the Forbes' top five richest celebrities in India
- The 32-year-old Indian actress was placed fourth in the Forbes India Celebrity 100 list with her earnings reaching Rs 112.80 crore during 2018.
- Other women to feature on the Forbes Indian Celebrity 100 include: Actresses Alia Bhatt (Rank 12, Rs 58.83 crore), Anushka Sharma (Rank 16, Rs 45.83 crore), Katrina Kaif (Rank 21, Rs 33.67 crore), Priyanka Chopra (Rank 49, Rs 18 crore), Shuttlers PV Sindhu (Rank 20, Rs 36.50 crore) and Saina Nehwal (Rank 58, Rs 16.54 crore), and comedian Bharti Singh (Rank 74, Rs 13.95 crore).
13. World’s first 3D-printed functional e-bike made in Germany by BigRep and NOWlab
- German firm BigRep and NOWlab produced the world’s first fully functioning e-motorbike NERA using a 3D printer.
14. Siddaramaiah announced that Cabinet expansion on 22nd December
- Coordination committee chairman Siddaramaiah has announced that the Karnataka Cabinet expansion will take place on December 22.
15. Paisabazaar.com launches India's first chance of approval feature for lending products
- India’s largest online marketplace for financial products, Paisabazaar.com launched a first of its kind feature Chance of Approval, that will help loan applicants choose their most-suited lender on its platform in India.
16. Three day 80th Session of Policy Commission of World Customs Organization organized by CBIC held in Mumbai
- The three-day 80th session of Policy Commission of World Customs Organisation concluded in Mumbai.
- It started on December 3, 2018.
- It was organized by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC).
17. S.Ramakrishnan won the Sahitya Akademi Award 2018 for Sancharam
- S.Ramakrishnan, a Tamil writer, traveller, essayist, and scriptwriter, has won the Sahitya Akademi Award 2018 for his novel Sancharam.
- It poignantly captures the lives of nagaswaram players in karisal bhoomi, the arid land, of Tamil Nadu.
- The novel places their music and struggle for a livelihood in the context of the decline of agriculture.
- Mr. Ramakrishnan has dropped his doctoral thesis on William Faulkner to become a full-time writer.
- He said that the prize comes as recognition for a person who opted for a career in writing, it also sheds light on the lives of the nagaswaram players.
18. First India-ASEAN InnoTech Summit Held in New Delhi
- The first India-ASEAN InnoTech Summit was held in New Delhi. It was organized by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) in association with the Department of Science & Technology (DST) and Ministry of External Affairs.
19. Delhi govt to begin 10 day minimum wages enforcement campaign
- Labour and Employment Minister Gopal Rai said that the Delhi government will be carrying out a 10-day enforcement drive from December 10 as the government has said that the workers will be paid with higher minimum wages from December 10.
- The Central government has set new minimum wage rates that are to be paid to the workers for their November salaries that will be disbursed in the first week of December.
- The new minimum wage rates set by the Central government would be paid to workers for their November salaries that will be disbursed in the first week of December.
- The government will start its drive on December 10. The government has named it “Operation Minimum Wages”.
- The Labour Department teams would carry out inspections of factories, workshops, and other businesses to check whether workers have been paid the new rates.
Believe you can succeed!