Current Affairs 07th December, 2018
Posted on: 2018-12-07 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
7 December 2018
1. Indian Navy to Conduct Exercise TROPEX from January 2019
- The Indian Navy will be conducting its flagship Theatre Level Operational Readiness Exercise, (TROPEX), from January 2019 end till early March 2019.
- As part of TROPEX, the Indian Navy would also be conducting a large-scale coastal defence exercise ‘Exercise Sea Vigil’ which will involve all stakeholders across mainland and island territories.
2. Kipchoge and Ibarguen won 'IAAF Athletes of the Year' awards
- World marathon record holder Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya and 2018 triple and long jump Diamond League champion Caterine Ibarguen of Colombia are the 2018 IAAF Male and Female Athletes of the Year.
- Both are first-time winners of the award. Kipchoge is just the second Kenyan ever to win the award after David Rudisha in 2010.
6. HDFC ERGO Announces Corporate Agency Tie-up with Federal Bank
- HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company, India’s leading private sector general insurance company, and Federal Bank, announced tie-up for the distribution of HDFC ERGO’s range of non-life insurance offerings to the customers of the Bank through its network branches.
- This Corporate Agency Tie-up offers comprehensive Insurance solutions to customers both digitally and physically, which benefits the customers in many ways.
- Federal Bank’s deep-rooted presence in Southern markets allows the Company to strengthen its foothold within the region.
7. Punjab Cabinet Okayed the merger of 20 District Central Cooperative Banks (DCCBs) with the Punjab State Cooperative Bank (PSCB)
- The Cooperative Department of Punjab decided to merge 20 District Central Cooperative Banks (DCCBs) with the Punjab State Cooperative Bank (PSCB).
- The main aim of the merger is to strengthen the state’s rural credit system and facilitate farmers taking credit from cooperative banks.
8. Infosys opened its new hub at Hartford, Connecticut
- Infosys opened its new technology and innovation hub in Hartford, Connecticut.
- It has hired more than 7,000 American workers in the last 18 months.
9. First ever Swadesh Darshan Project in Nagaland worth Rs. 97.36 crore inaugurated by CM Rio
- Chief Minister of Nagaland, Shri Neiphiu Rio, inaugurated the first ever Swadesh Darshan Project in Nagaland named-“Development of Tribal Circuit: Peren-Kohima-Wokha Project”.
- It was sanctioned by the Ministry of Tourism in November 2015 for Rs. 97.36 Crores.
11.China plans to increase green coverage rate to 30 percent
- China is planning to increase its green cover by building 20,000 national forest villages by 2020 in the country.
- As the country has been facing the problem of severe pollution, it has spent over $100 billion on trees and its total forest cover area is almost 22%.
- Liu Dongsheng, Deputy Director of China’s National Forestry and Grassland Administration said that the country will continue to enhance the ecological environment in villages across the country.
- It also plans to bring the green coverage rate in rural areas to 30%.
12.Mukhyamantri Teerth Yatra Yojana: Delhi government launched free pilgrimage scheme for 77, 000 senior citizens
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched a 3 day, 2-night free pilgrimage scheme, consisting of on five religious circuits, for senior citizens named- the ‘Mukhyamantri Teerth Yatra Yojana’.
- The AAP government will bear the expenses of 77,000 pilgrims every year although preference would be given to economically backward families.
- Under this scheme, 1,100 senior citizens, above 60 years, from each of the 70 assembly constituencies in Delhi can undertake free pilgrimage.
- The beneficiaries above the age of 70 can take an attendant above the age of 20 years and the beneficiaries would be certified via the respective area lawmakers.
13. TN government approved Rs.7.60 crore for clearing fallen trees
- The Tamil Nadu State government has approved Rs.7.60 crore for procuring heavy duty chainsaws, winch machines, shredders, and wood splitter machines to clear trees that were felled by Cyclone Gaja in delta districts.
14. Actor-Comedian Kevin Hart will host the 2019 Oscars
- Kevin Hart (39-year-old) has been selected to host the 2019 Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, for the first time.
- The 91st Academy Awards ceremony is scheduled to take place on February 24, 2019. Hart takes over hosting duties from Jimmy Kimmel who presided over the last two ceremonies.
16. Ministry of Railways signs MoU with Madame Tussauds Wax Museum
- Ministry of Railways’ National Rail Museum (NRM) and Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, New Delhi, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to provide an amazing discount offer to Delhi NCR tourists.
- This innovative and first time ever, public-private museum collaboration, is expected to attract more tourists to both National Rail Museum and Madame Tussauds Wax Museum.
- A special discount of 35%on ticket prices will be offered to NRM visitors when they visit Madame Tussauds Museum, while Madame Tussauds Wax Museum visitors will be getting an attractive discount of 30% on combo packages of NRM.
- In order to promote railway heritage and also enable children to learn about national heroes, there will be a special provision for school children and groups.
Believe you can succeed!