Current Affairs 08th December, 2018
Posted on: 2018-12-08 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
8 December 2018
1. IIT Delhi launched the Centre for Technology and Policing
- The Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology-Delhi (IIIT-D), New Delhi launched the Centre for Technology and Policing.
- It aimed at strengthening the Delhi Police by providing the latest technology in the field of crime prevention and control.
- Lieutenant-Governor of Delhi Anil Baijal inaugurated the Centre.
2. India opposes move to declare Gilgit-Baltistan as fifth province
- India voiced strong opposition to Pakistan's reported move to declare Gilgit-Baltistan as its fifth province.
- The entire state of Jammu and Kashmir has been and shall remain part of India.
- India has called upon Pakistan to vacate all occupied territory.
3. Kiren Rijiju inaugurates All India Police Shooting Competition 2018 at Manesar
- Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju inaugurated the 19th All India Police (AIPDM) Shooting Competition-2018 at Manesar, Gurugram in Haryana.
- The competition will continue till 11th of this month.
- More than 750 participants of 31 teams of State Police Forces and Central Armed Police Forces are participating in the event.
4. NGTdirected DDA to submit factual report
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) directed the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) to submit a factual report on the city residents’ alleging encroachment on government land in Delhi’s Haiderpur.
- A Bench headed by NGT chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel directed the DDA to look into and take necessary steps in the matter, and furnish a factual and action taken report to this tribunal.
- The DDA has been asked to send the report to the tribunal by January 4.
5. Bahrain and Maharashtra Government signed MoU on fintech
- The Economic Development Board (EDB), the investment promotion arm of the Kingdom of Bahrain signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Maharashtra Government to provide a framework for Co-operation between the two authorities to promote FinTech in their respective markets.
- The MoU is in line with the EDB’s aims of exploring greater synergies between Bahrain and India in the financial technology space and will last for an initial period of three years.
6. Scientists discovered over 100 new exoplanets using NASAs Kepler Space Telescope
- Using data from NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope and the ground-based observatories, the NASA scientists have discovered a cache over 100 new exoplanets.
- The diverse planets are expected to play a large role in developing the research field of exoplanets and life in the Universe.
- Exoplanets revolve around stars other than the sun.
- They have been actively researched in recent years. One of the reasons is the success of the Kepler Space Telescope, which launched in 2009 to search for exoplanets.
- If a planet crosses in front of its parent star, then the observed brightness of the star drops by a small amount.
- The Kepler Space Telescope detected many exoplanets using this method.
7. IndiGo becomes first Indian carrier to have 200 aircraft in its fleet
- Four new aircraft have joined the fleet, including two Airbus A320 ceo (VT-IKA and VT-IKB) and two A320 neo (VT IZK AND VT-IZI), taking the fleet count to 200 and number of deliveries to 226.
- IndiGo currently offers over 1,200 flights to 63 domestic destinations, which include 49 domestic and 14 international ones.
- The airline, founded by billionaires Rahul Bhatia and Rakesh Gangwal, started operations in August 2006 with a Delhi-Imphal flight.
8. Luxembourg to become first country to make all public transport free
- Luxembourg is set to become the first country in the world to make all public transport free, implementing the move in 2020.
- The move is aimed at addressing environmental issues and the problem of traffic congestion.
- Earlier this year, Luxembourg introduced free transport for all people under the age of 20.
9. Gangotri, Yamunotri included under PRASAD scheme
The Centre has included Gangotri and Yamunotri in Uttrarakhand, Amarkantak in Madhya Pradesh and Parasnath in Jharkhand under a central scheme to develop pilgrimage and heritage destinations in the country.
With the new additions, the number of sites under the Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive (PRASAD) launched by the ministry in 2014-15 has now become 41 in 25 states.
10. Yes Asset Management gets SEBIs approval to launch 2 new schemes
- Yes Bank, a Private sector lender, announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary Yes Asset Management received SEBI’s approval to launch two mutual fund schemes.
- The asset management company is to launch two schemes, Yes Liquid Fund and Yes Ultra Short Term Fund.
- Yes Asset Management, India is the latest Indian company to enter the mutual fund segment.
11. Atul Sahai appointed CMD of New India Assurance
- Atul Sahai has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of the country’s largest general insurance company New India Assurance for a five year period.
- The post had been lying vacant since July 2018 after former chairman and managing director G Srinivasan retired.
12. Former India diplomat Preeti Saran elected to UNs socio-economic, cultural panel
Former senior Indian diplomat Preeti Saran elected to the Asia Pacific seat on the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (CESCR) of the UN for 4 years.
This election was done by the UN’s Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). Saran appointed as a member to the 18-member committee of experts that monitors the implementation of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESR).
The appointment would be effective from January 1, 2019 and she would replace 3 time elected former Indian diplomat, Chandrashekhar Dasgupta.
Prior to this, she had retired as the External Affairs Ministry Secretary (East).
13. IL&FS Investment Managers board appointed Nand Kishore and Kaushik Modak as new additional directors
- IL&FS Investment Managers board approved the appointment of Nand Kishore and Kaushik Modak as additional directors in the company.
- They have been appointed to the board in the capacity of nominee directors of Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Service (IL&FS).
14. After Breaking 82 year old Record Yasir Shah becomes fastest bowler to take 200 Test wickets
- Pakistan’s leg-spinner Yasir Shah became the fastest cricketer to take 200 Test wickets breaking an 82-year-old record.
- He achieved this feat beating Australian leg-spinner Clarrie Grimmett record of 36 Tests set against South Africa in Johannesburg in 1936.
- Yasir achieved this by taking New Zealand’s batsman Will Somerville wicket in Abu Dhabi.
Believe you can succeed!