Current Affairs 10th December, 2018
Posted on: 2018-12-10 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
10 December 2018
1. Vanessa Ponce de Leon crowned as Miss World
- Miss Mexico Vanessa Ponce de Leon, 26, a Mexican model and volunteer, has been crowned Miss World at a glitzy event on the tropical Chinese island of Hainan.
- She holds a degree in international business, volunteers for “Migrantes en el Camino” and is on the board of directors of a rehab centre for girls.
2. RBI Governor Urjit Patel quits citing personal reasons
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Urjit Patel resigned from his post today citing personal reasons, effective immediately.
- Urjit Patel was appointed governor of RBI in 2016 and had about one more year left in his term.
3. Allahabad University to be renamed as Prayagraj State University
- In October 2018, the Uttar Pradesh government had officially renamed Allahabad as Prayagraj.
4. Railways launched new Buddhist Circuit Tourist Train
- Indian Railways flagged off the new Buddhist Circuit Tourist Train from New Delhi's Safdarjung Railway Station.
- The train will cover destinations associated with Lord Buddha's life, including Bodh Gaya, Varanasi, Lumbini, and will end with a tour of the Taj Mahal.
5. India to retain top position in remittances with USD 80 billion:World Bank
- The World Bank has said India will retain its position as the world’s top recipient of remittances this year with $80 billion.
- India is followed by China, Mexico, the Philippines and Egypt, according to World Bank's Migration and Development Brief.
6. India's Prathamesh Maulingkar wins Mister Supranational 2018
- A professional footballer, Prathamesh clinched the main title for India the very first time and was slashed by Gabriel Correa Mister Supranational 2017 and he received the trophy from Miss Supranational 2018 Valeria Vazquez.
7. Sixteenth International Anti-Corruption Day celebrated on December 9, 2018
- The day has been celebrated since the passage of the United Nations Convention Against Corruption on 31 October 2003 to raise public awareness for anti-corruption.
- UN along with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) organized a global campaign called- “Corruption: An impediment to Sustainable Development Goals”- for spreading the awareness on corruption.
8. India’s first underwater museum to open off Puducherry coast in INS Cuddalore
- Indian Navy agreed to gift INS Cuddalore, a decommissioned Pondicherry-class vessel, to the Union territory of Puducherry for the creation of country’s first underwater museum.
9. Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan, Union minister Suresh Prabhu inaugurate Kannur international Airport
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan and Union Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu jointly inaugurated the Kannur International Airport Ltd (KIAL).
- KIAL is the fourth international airport in the state.
10. Shalindra Kumar is appointed as CEO of Jammu and Kashmir
- Shalindra Kumar will take over as the Chief Electoral Officer of Jammu and Kashmir on 12th December 2018. He will be replacing the incumbent Shaleen Kabra.
- His office will take effect a day after the completion of the ongoing nine-phased panchayat polls in the State.
11. INDRA NAVY: the bilateral maritime exercise between indian Navy and Russian Federation Navy exercises held in Visakhapatnam
- The 10th Edition of the bilateral exercise between the Indian Navy and Russian Federation Navy (RuFN) started at Visakhapatnam.
- The Maritime exercise will conclude on December 16. The Primary aim of the exercise is to increase interoperability amongst the two navies, develop common understanding and procedures for maritime security operations.
- This Year’s edition of exercise would be held in two phases, The Harbour phase would be held at Visakhapatnam from 9-12 December and the Sea phase would be held from 13-16 December in the bay of Bengal.
- Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW), Air Defence Drills, Surface firings, Visit Board Search and Seizure (VBSS) operations and tactical procedures will be the thrust of exercises at sea.
12. Chennai airpot to be revamped for GIM 2019 says AAI
- The Global Investors Meet (GIM) 2019 is to be held in Chennai, India on January 23 and 24, 2019.
- The officials of the Airports Authority of India (AAI) have planned to spruce up the Chennai airport to give a facelift to a host of facilities.
13. Donald Trump Names Heather Nauert As US Ambassador To United Nation
- US President Donald Trump nominated State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert as the US Ambassador to the United Nations.
- The former Fox News presenter’s appointment to the UN role will have to be approved by the US Senate.
- Nauert will replace Nikki Haley, who will be leaving the post by the end of 2018.
14. FAO Council Approves Indias Proposals
- Food and Agriculture Organisation FAO Council approved India’s proposal to observe an International Year of Millets in 2023.
- Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh stated that the 160th session of the FAO Council, in Rome approved the proposal.
15. United Nation Launches New Framework To Combat Terrorism
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres launched a new framework, the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Coordination Compact, to combat the scourge of international terrorism and coordinate efforts across the peace and security, humanitarian, human rights and sustainable development sectors
Believe you can succeed!