Current Affairs 13th November, 2018
Posted on: 2018-11-13 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
13 November 2018
1. 2nd Startup India Investment Seminar in Beijing
- Embassy of India in China in partnership with Startup India Association (SIA) and Venture Gurukool organized 2nd Startup India Investment Seminar on 12 November 2018 in Beijing for fostering innovation and entrepreneurship among Indian youth.
- The 1st Startup Indian Investment event was organised in November 2017.
2. Curtain Raiser: INDO-Russian joint exercise INDRA 2018
- The joint military exercise between Indian and Russia EXERCISE INDRA 2018 on combating insurgency under the aegis of United Nations (UN) is being conducted at Babina Field Firing Ranges, Babina Military Station from 18 November 2018.
- Company sized contingents of the 5thArmy of the Russian Federation and a Mechanised Infantry Battalion of Republic of India will participate in the training exercise spanning for eleven days including induction and de-induction of the Russian contingent.
- The training will be supervised by a joint directing panel comprising of senior officials of both the national contingents.
3. Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi will inaugurate “Hunar Haat” at India International Trade Fair, New Delhi
- Union Minister for Minority Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi will inaugurate the “Hunar Haat” on 15th November, 2018 at India International Trade Fair (IITF) at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
- The IITF will be organized from 14th to 27th November, 2018.
4. Flipkart Group CEO Binny Bansal resigns on 'misconduct allegation'
- His decision follows an independent investigation done on behalf of Flipkart and Walmart into an allegation of serious personal misconduct.
- Kalyan Krishnamurthy will continue as the CEO of Flipkart, which will now include Myntra and Jabong.
- Ananth Narayanan will continue as the CEO of Myntra and Jabong and will report to Krishnamurthy.
5. Amnesty International withdraws Human Rights Award from Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi
- Amnesty International had withdrawn its highest human rights honor from Aung San Suu Kyi, the civilian leader of Myanmar, citing her defense of the military’s deadly crackdown against Rohingya Muslims and growing restrictions on free speech.
- The international human rights group 'Amnesty International' named Ms Suu Kyi as its 2009 Ambassador of Conscience Award recipient when she was still under house arrest for her opposition to Myanmar's oppressive military junta.
6. Third 'Quadrilateral' meeting to be held in Singapore on November 14th
- Officials from 4 countries (Quad) - Australia, India, Japan and the United States will hold the third "Quadrilateral" or Quad meeting in Singapore on November 14th.
- The meeting will be held on the sidelines of the East Asia Summit.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend this meeting, and is expected to focus on infrastructure projects, maritime security cooperation and discuss regional challenges including development.
7. Nepal nominated Nilambar Acharya as ambassador to India
- The Nepal government nominated Nilambar Acharya, the former Law Minister and senior politician, as Ambassador to India. If elected, he will replace Deep Kumar Upadhyay who resigned resigned October last year.
- Mr.Achayra, a former envoy to Sri Lanka, currently coordinates the Nepal side of the Eminent Persons Group on Nepal-India relations.
- He is a member of Nepali Congress party.
- Acharya's name is to be sent to a parliamentary committee for approval, which then will forward it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA).
8. Tripura CM dropped May day from the list of holidays in the State
- Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb has dropped the May Day from the list of holidays in the State.
- He said that the government employees do not need a holiday on International Labour Rights Day.
- He also claimed that his government has done justice by granting holiday on May 1 only to workers in industrial sector as the day is meant for workers and labourers and no one else.
9. PM Modi inaugurated India's 1st Multi-Modal Terminal on Ganga
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the country's first Multi-Modal Terminal on Ganga River in his parliamentary constituency, Varanasi.
- It was the first of the four multi-modal terminals being constructed on the National Waterway-1 (river Ganga) as part of the World Bank-aided Jal Marg Vikas project of the Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI).
- The total estimated cost of the project is Rs 5,369.18 crore, which will be equally shared between the Government of India and the World Bank.
- The Jal Marg Vikas project involves construction of three multi-modal terminals - at Varanasi, Sahibganj and Haldia, two inter-modal terminals and five roll-on-roll-off or Ro-Ro terminal pairs.
- The IWAI vessel, MV Rabindranath Tagore that PM Modi received in Varanasi was the first container movement on an inland waterway in India since Independence.
- The vessel transported 16 containers equivalent to 16 truckloads of food and snacks from Kolkata to Varanasi.
10. BKT plans to set up a USD 100 million plant in US
- Balkrishna Industries Limited (BKT), a leading off-highway tire manufacturers, is planning to invest $100 million to set up its new production unit in the United States.
- This unit will be its first manufacturing site outside of India. The yearly production from the tire manufacturing plant is expected to produce around 20,000 MT in the entire Off Highway tire segment.
- Currently, Europe is BKT’s largest sales market accounting for more than half of its overall turnover.
11. ISRO to launch modern communication satellite GSAT-29 onboard rocket GSLV-Mark-Three
- The flight would take place from the second launch pad of the Satish Dhawan Space Center at Sriharikota at five in the evening tomorrow.
- This would be the second development flight of the heavier launch vehicle GSLV Mark-III.
- It has the capacity to lift satellites of about four-tons into a geostationary transfer orbit.
12. Bangladesh ODI captain Mortaza to contest in general elections
- Bangladesh's ODI captain Mashrafe Mortaza will contest in the upcoming elections on a ticket from the ruling party, Awami League, as confirmed by PM Sheikh Hasina.
- He could reportedly contest from his hometown district of Narail in south-western Bangladesh.
- Mashrafe is widely expected to retire after the World Cup in 2019. He has already retired from Twenty20 international cricket and has not played a Test match since 2009.
13. NBCC Inks Pact With Health Ministry To Buy Out HSCC
- NBCC (India) Limited (formerly National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited) signed an agreement with the Health Ministry to acquire Hospital Services Consultancy Corporation (HSCC).
- Earlier NBCC stated that it will buy out the government’s stake in consultancy firm HSCC for Rs 285 crore.
14. Hyundai to invest Rs.7,000 crore in Tamil Nadu
- Hyundai, the South Korean automotive manufacturer, is to invest Rs.7,000 crore to expand its facility at Sriperumbudur, Chennai.
- Hyundai Motor India Limited CEO and MD Y.K. Koo said that the investment will also go towards the manufacture of new models and electric vehicles.
15. Bangalore Ranked Indias Most Congested City: NBER
- Bangalore tops the index for the most congested city, and Mumbai in the second position, while Pune follows in the seventh place, according to a recent research published under the US-based organization, National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER).
- A team of researchers conducted research at the University of California, Berkeley and three other U.S. universities, the research studies the current status of mobility in urban India, using Google maps.
- In another index of traffic speed, Kolkata has been found to be the slowest city.
16. Palau becomes first Country In World To Ban Reef-Killing Sunscreen
- It is the first country to ban reef toxic sunscreen by 2020 in an attempt to protect its coral reefs after the president of the country signed a bill into law.
17. Mountaineer Satyarup Siddhanta became first Indian to scale Mt Giluwe in Papua New Guinea
- He summited an elevation of 4,367 metres which will be followed by Mt Wilhelm – the highest mountain of Papua New Guinea. Satya scaled 5 of the 7 volcanic summits.
- He aimed to complete his 6th Volcano in Mexico Mt Pico de Orizaba and then to Antarctica to climb Mt Sidley in December 2018.
18. India and Morocco signed Agreement on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters
- The main aim of the MOU is to strengthen bilateral cooperation, provide a broad legal framework for prevention, investigation and prosecution of crimes.
- It will also help in tracing, restraint and confiscation of funds meant to finance terrorist acts.
19. S. S. Deswal appointed as DG of ITBP
- The ACC approved the appointment of S. S. Deswal, IPS as Director General, Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
- He took charge from R K Pachnanda, the outgoing DG of ITBP, who superannuated recently.
Believe you can succeed!