Current Affairs 18th November, 2018
Posted on: 2018-11-18 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
18 November 2018
1. 9th Annual Defence and Security Dialogue between India and China held in Beijing
- The 9th Annual Defence and Security Dialogue between India and China held in Beijing.
- It held between the two Defence delegations headed by Defence secretary Sanjay Mitra and China’s deputy chief of Joint Staff Department of the Central Military Commission.
2. NITI Aayog constitutes Himalayan State Regional Council for development of Himalayan region
- NITI Aayog constituted Himalayan State Regional Council to ensure sustainable development of the Indian Himalayan region.
- It will be chaired by Dr. VK Saraswat, Member, NITI Aayog and will consist of Chief Secretaries of Himalayan States as well as Secretaries of key Central Ministries, senior officers.
3. Indian Navy completes refit of Maldivian Coast Guard Ship Huravee in Visakhapatnam
- Maldivian Coast Guard Ship (MCGS) Huravee successfully completed her refit at Naval Dockyard Visakhapatnam and the ship was formally handed over to Major Mohamed Jamshad, Commanding Officer MCGS Huravee in a ceremony organized to commemorate the occasion on 15 November 2018.
- The event concluded by customary crest exchange between the ship and the chief guest.
4. Nongkrem Dance Festival Celebrated In Meghalaya
- Nongkrem dance festival, an annual event during which prayers are offered for good harvest, peace, and prosperity of the community was celebrated with great zeal and enthusiasm by the inhabitants of the Khasi Hills in Shillong, Meghalaya.
- The unique dance is performed by the members of Hima Khyrim, a sub-tribe of the indigenous Khasi tribe.
5. List of Loan Agreements Signed With Asian Development Bank
- India and ADB have signed 3 important loan agreements in various fields/projects in New Delhi.
- The signatories to the loan/projects Mr. Sameer Kumar Khare, Additional Secretary (Fund Bank and ADB), Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance; and Mr. Kenichi Yokoyama, Country Director of ADB’s India Resident Mission, who signed for ADB.
- The 3 Loan Agreements Signed between India and ADB are: A $300 million Loan Agreement to support lending by India Infrastructure Finance Company Limited (IIFCL).
- A $169 million loan as the First Tranche of a $500 million multi-tranche financing to develop climate-resilient water supply, sewerage, and drainage infrastructure in at least 10 cities in the State of Tamil Nadu.
6. Australia's John Hastings retires from International Cricket
- Australia all-rounder John Hastings announced retirement from all forms of cricket due to a lung disease.
- Hastings had already retired from ODI and Test cricket last year but continued to play T20 cricket.
- Hastings played one Test, 29 ODIs and nine Twenty20 internationals for Australia before retiring from Tests and ODIs a year ago to become a T20 specialist.
7. Sixty second National shooting championships begins
- The 62nd National shooting championships, rifle, and pistol, began on 16th November at the Vattiyoorkavu shooting ranges, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- The women’s 10m air rifle preliminaries which have attracted a record 815 entries.
- The event will conclude on December 7. Around 6000 shooters will be participating in this championship event. The shooters are given free training also.
- The event is being held here for a second consecutive year in the location where the facilities which were created for the 35th National Games held in the State three years ago.
8. Gukesh won World u 12 Open chess championships
- International Master, D.Gukesh, with 10 points, won the World u-12 open chess championships in Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- Around 851 participants from 86 federations took part in the Championship event. Volodar Murzin of Russia finished second by securing 8.5 points and Nico Chasin of USA settled for third place by securing 8.5.
- India stood second with two golds, while China and USA took the 1st and 3rd spot.
9. NGT directed Volkswagen to deposit Rs.100 crore as penalty
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) directed auto major Volkswagen to pay an interim amount of Rs.100 crore with the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) after the allegation were made on the company saying that it used cheat devices in emission tests in its diesel vehicles.
- A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel further constituted a committee comprising representatives from the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, Ministry of Heavy Industries, Central Pollution Control Board and the Automotive Research Association of India, to estimate the quantum of environmental loss.
10. Lanxess plans to invest Rs.1,250 crore in India
- Lanxess, the Specialty chemicals major, is to invest €150 million (Rs.1,250 crore) by 2023 to strengthen its asset base in India.
- The company identified India as one of its top four growth regions.
- The company will be investing in the chemical intermediates, high-performance plastics, and water treatment products.
- The company aims at capitalizing the huge potential of the Indian chemical market.
- The company currently has production facilities at Jhagadia in Gujarat and Nagda in Madhya Pradesh.
- Since its incorporation in India in 2004, Lanxess has grown its business in terms of asset base and turnover, which stood at Rs.2,608 crore last year.
11. World Bank provides US$155.7 million to Nepal
- The World Bank is providing US$155.7 million in loan and grant to Nepal to build and maintain bridges, and improve food security of vulnerable households and communities.
- Two Agreements to these effects were signed between the Washington, DC-based multilateral financial institution and the government of Nepal in Kathmandu.
- The first credit will finance the US$133 million Second Bridges Improvement and Maintenance Program targeting approximately 477 bridges along Nepal’s Strategic Roads Network.
- Under the second agreement, the multi-donor Global Agriculture and Food Security Program (GAFSP) will provide a US$22.7 million grant to support the Food and Nutrition Security Enhancement Project.
12. Andhra Pradesh CM, West Bengal CM bar CBI from entering states without approval
- Andhra Pradesh CM Chandrababu Naidu has withdrawn the 'General Consent' given to the CBI, barring it from search and operations in the state without approval.
- In the notification issued this week, the state cited lack of confidence in the CBI after its top officers were accused of corruption.
- This comes after Naidu-led TDP withdrew from the NDA government this year.
- West Bengal government too withdrew the free pass or "general consent" to CBI.
13. Second Mega Food Park in Maharashtra inaugurated in Aurangabad
- Union Minister for Food Processing Industries Harsimrat Kaur Badal inaugurated 2nd Mega Food Park in Maharashtra, in Wahegaon and Dhangaon village in Paithan taluka of Aurangabad district.
- It was launched under Mega Food Park Scheme and is promoted by Paithan Mega Food Park Pvt Ltd.
- The Paithan Mega Food Park Park has been set up in 102 acre of land at a cost of Rs. 124.52 crore.
- The first park was inaugurated in Satara district in March 2018.
- Third mega food park has been sanctioned by Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries in Maharashtra in Wardha district.
14. Two North East Circuit Projects inaugurated in Arunachal Pradesh
- Two important projects under Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism, Government of India were inaugurated at PTSO Lake in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh.
- These projects are 1) “Development of North East Circuits: Bhalukpong- Bomdila - Tawang Project & 2) Nafra- Seppa- Pappu, Pasa, Pakke Valleys- Sangdupota- New Sagalee- Ziro- Yomcha Project ”.
15. Sixth Indian Social Work Congress held in New Delhi
- Dr. Martha Farrell posthumously honoured with Lifetime Achievement Award during this edition of congress for her lifelong work towards gender equality, women’s empowerment and prevention of sexual harassment at workplace.
- It was jointly organized by National Association of Professional Social Workers in India (NAPSWI) and Department of Social Work (Delhi School of Social Work), University of Delhi.
- The theme of 6th congress 2018 is “Human Development and Social Inclusion: Imperatives for Social Work Education and Practice”.
Believe you can succeed!