Current Affairs 19th November, 2018
Posted on: 2018-11-19 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
19 November 2018
1. PM Modi inaugurates Western Peripheral Expressway in Gurugram
- The Kundli-Manesar-Palwal expressway, also known as Western Peripheral Expressway, became fully operational on November 19 after PM Narendra Modi inaugurated its Kundli-Manesar stretch in Gurugram.
- It'll bring down travel time from Sonipat to Manesar to about 45 minutes.
- Along with Eastern Peripheral Expressway, the six-lane expressway is expected to divert over 50,000 heavy vehicles away from Delhi.
2. World Toilet Day is observed on 19 November
- The World Toilet Day is organized around the world on 19th of November.
- The day is about inspiring action to tackle the global sanitation crisis.
- The theme for WTD 2018 is ‘When Nature Calls’.
3. BSE is to snap ties with S and P Dow Jones
- Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), Asia’s oldest bourse, is to snap ties with S&P Dow Jones.
- BSE plans to develop indices through its in-house development team. S&P Dow Jones manages and operates the benchmark Sensex.
- The two entities had announced a joint venture (JV) named Asia Index in 2013.
- The JV is to provide an array of indices enabling global and domestic investors to participate in South Asia’s vibrant economies.
6. Padma Shri awardee ad filmmaker Alyque Padamsee passes away at 90
- He is also known for portraying Muhammad Ali Jinnah in the 1982 film 'Gandhi'.
- A renowned theatre personality, Padamsee had also received a Sangeet Natak Akademi Award.
- He was Chairman of the London Institute of Corporate Training and also served as an adviser to Andhra Pradesh CM Chandrababu Naidu.
7. President Ram Nath Kovind began 6day visit to Vietnam, Australia
- On the first leg of his two-nation tour, Kovind visit Vietnam from 18-20 November 2018 on the invitation of Mr. Nguyen Phu Trong, President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
- In Hanoi, President will address the Indian community and the Vietnam-India Business Forum. India and Vietnam have robust trade and economic relations with bilateral trade of US$ 12.8 billion in 2017-18.
- The President's second leg of the visit will be in Australia from November 21 to 24.
- This is the first visit by an Indian President to Australia.
- He will unveil a statue of Mahatma Gandhi in Parramatta, a prominent suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales.
8. Lakshya Sen bagged bronze BWF World junior badminton championship
- India’s Lakshya Sen won a bronze medal in the BWF World junior badminton championship at Markham, Canada.
- He was defeated by Thailand's Vitidsarn.
- Lakshya Sen, the 17-year-old from Almora, fought hard before going down 22-20, 16-21, 13-21 in a match that went on for an hour and 11 minutes.
9. Dr. Saroj Suman Gulati conferred with Global Education Leaders Award 2018
- He is the Director of Blue Bells Group of Schools.
- She was awarded in recognition of her remarkable contribution to ‘K-12 education and promotion of Art and Culture’.
- The award was conferred by His Highness Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, member of the Cabinet and Minister of State for Tolerance, United Arab Emirates.
- Mr. Ashish Gulati, Vice-chairman, Blue Bells Group of Schools, received the award on her behalf.
- She was among the 9 Indian educationists who were awarded the Global Education Leaders Award.
10. Asab won gold in the 62nd National Shotgun championship
- Mohd. Asab and Ahvar Rizvi defeated Ankur Mittal, the reigning World champion, and won the double trap gold and silver in the 62nd National Shotgun championship held at Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- Asab shot 134 to beat Ahvar by one point and Ankur shot 128.
11. Government of India and ADB signed $300 Million Loan to support IIFCL in India
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $300 million Loan Agreement to support lending by India Infrastructure Finance Company Limited (IIFCL) in New Delhi.
- The Project entails: Long-term finance for PPP projects, Improvement of the operational capacity of IIFCL, and Expansion of the portfolio of infrastructure financing instruments available to IIFCL.
12. PM Modi attended Maldives President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih's swearing-in ceremony
- Solih, the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party's candidate who surprisingly emerged victorious over incumbent president Abdulla Yameen in the election held on September 23, had extended the invitation during a phone call by Modi.
- Former Sri Lankan president Chandrika Kumaratunga also attended the ceremony.
- The last time an Indian prime minister visited Maldives was in 2011 when Manmohan Singh was PM.
15. Ustad Amjad Ali Khan presented lifetime achievement award in Delhi
- One of India’s greatest Sarod Master Ustad Amjad Ali Khan was presented “Sumitra Charat Ram Award for Lifetime Achievement” at Kamani Auditorium, New Delhi for his immense contribution to the enrichment and promotion of Indian Classical Music.
- He already received a fellowship of Sangeet Natak Akademi, UNESCO Award, UNICEP National Ambassadorship, Fukuoka cultural Grand price of Japan & ‘Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters’ of France.
16. India's 1st engineless train 'Train 18' conducts trial run successfully
- India's first indigenously developed engineless train "Train 18" on November 18 successfully conducted its first trial run on tracks at Moradabad-Rampur section of Northern Indian Railways.
- The train comprises of as many as 16 coaches including the driving coach.
- According to Railways, the train was made to run at three different speeds of 30 kilometers per hour (Km/hr), 50 Km/hr and 60 Km/hr respectively.
- The maximum speed of the "Train 18" is 220 Km/hr. Integral Coach Factory (ICF) in Chennai rolled out Train 18, a semi-high speed train on October 29 to replace the classic Shatabdi Express.
18. Sunil Mehta committee incorporated Sashakt India AMC for large NPAs over 500 crore rupees
- Sunil Mehta committee released a statement for the formation of an asset management company (AMC) for resolving large bad loans.
- The name of the AMC is Sashakt India Asset Management.
- It was announced by Sunil Mehta, the chairman of a bankers’ panel working on a faster resolution of stressed assets in public sector banks on the sidelines of a CII-CFO summit held in Mumbai.
- The company will follow a five-pronged strategy under Project Sashakt to tackle stress in the banking sector.
- Under the project, the following will happen: The AMC will have an Alternate Investment Fund (AIF) to resolve non-performing assets (NPAs) over Rs 500 crore. The AIF will be formed engaging various potential investors including private sector banks.
20. Tenth Indra 2018: India, Russia joint military exercise held in Jhansi, UP
- The 10th joint military exercise between Indian and Russia– EXERCISE INDRA, under the United Nations (UN) started at Babina Field Firing Ranges, Babina Military Station, in Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh.
- The main aim is to combat insurgency.
- The main focus will be upon: Training on enhancing team building, Special tactical level operations such as Cordon and Search, To share best practices and For peacekeeping/ enforcement environment.
Believe you can succeed!