Current Affairs 20th November, 2018
Posted on: 2018-11-20 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
20 November 2018
1. President of India addresses National Assembly of Vietnam; leads delegation-level talks; says Vietnam is pivotal to India’s “Act East” policy
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, addressed the National Assembly of Vietnam today (November 20, 2018) in Hanoi, on the final day of his visit to Vietnam.
- He also held bilateral meetings with the President of Vietnam as well as led delegation-level talks.
2. Prime Minister Launches Ease of Doing Business Grand Challenge
- The Prime Minister of India launched a Grand Challenge on resolving seven identified Ease of Doing Business problems with the use of cutting edge technologies.
- The objective of this Challenge is to tap the potential of young Indians, startups and other private enterprises to provide solutions to complex problems using current technology.
3. Bangladesh Krida Shiksha Prothishtan (BKSP) wins 59th edition of Subroto cup International Football Tournament
- Closing Ceremony & Final Match of Junior Boys of the59th edition of Subroto Cup International Football Tournament was held at Dr. Ambedkar Stadium, Delhi Gate, New Delhi on 20 Nov 18 at 1545 hr.
- Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa PVSM AVSM YSM VM ADC, Chief of the Air Staff & Chairman, SubrotoMukerjee Sports Education Society was the Chief Guest for the ceremony.
- Ms. Sonia Lather, Silver Medal winner in the AIBA Woman’s World Boxing Championship 2016 was the Guest of Honour during the ceremony.
- Wg Cdr YashdeepDabass and Flt Lt RK Herojit Singh (Medal winners in the various national Para Swimming competitions) were the Special Guests for the ceremony.
4. Visit of COAS to Vietnam
- General Bipin Rawat, Chief of the Army Staff is scheduled to visit Vietnam from 22 to 25 November 2018 on an official bilateral visit. During the visit, the Chief of the Army Staff led delegation will meet and interact with senior military hierarchy of Vietnam.
- The Chief of the Army Staff shall also visit key military formations and establishments.
- The Army Chief is scheduled to meet and interact with General Ngo Xuan Lich, Defence Minister and Senior Lieutenant General Pham Hong Huong, Deputy Chief of the General Staff during the visit.
5. Government of India and the World Bank sign $310 million Loan Agreement for Jharkhand Power System Improvement Project to provide reliable, quality, and affordable 24x7 electricity to the citizens of Jharkhand
- The Government of India, the Government of Jharkhand and the World Bank signed here today in New Delhi a $310 million Loan Agreement for Jharkhand Power System Improvement Project to provide reliable, quality, and affordable 24x7 electricity to the citizens of Jharkhand.
6. Hon’ble Prime Minister to lay Foundation Stones of City Gas Distribution (CGD) Projects in 65 Geographical Areas (GAs) in 129 Districts under the 9th CGD Bidding Round
- Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi would lay the Foundation Stones of City Gas Distribution (CGD) Projects in 65 Geographical Areas (GAs) in 129 Districts under the 9th CGD Bidding Round recently awarded by PNGRB, remotely from Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- It would herald the availability of convenient, environment-friendly and cheaper natural gas for almost half of the country’s population spread across 26 States and Union Territories upto 9th round.
7. 7th International Tourism Mart to be held in Agartala, Tripura from 22nd – 24th November 2018
- The Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, in association with the Department of Tourism, Government of Tripura and the North Eastern States is organizing the “International Tourism Mart” in Agartala, Tripura from the 22nd to 24th November 2018.
- The event will be held at the Pragna Bhawan, and will be inaugurated on 22nd November by the Governor of Tripura, Prof.
- Kaptan Singh Solanki, in the presence of Union Minister for Tourism, Shri K. J Alphons, Chief Minister of Tripura , Shri. Biplab Kumar Deb, Union Tourism Secretary Smt. Rashmi Verma and other dignitaries from Central Ministries and North Eastern States.
8. Odisha CM cancelled brewery project in Dhenkanal
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik cancelled the setting up of a brewery plant in Dhenkanal district.
- The cancellation is due to the protests made by the villagers.
- Mr. Patnaik took the decision based on the recommendations of Revenue Divisional Commissioner D. V. Swamy, who probed the felling of trees in Jhinkargadi forest.
- The government went back on its decision following a massive public outcry.
- The brewery plant was to come up on 12 acres of forestland in Jhinkargadi.
9. Definition of kilogram changed after 130 years
- The world's standard definition of the kilogram, the ampere, the kelvin and the mole has been changed, after representatives from 60 countries voted to redefine the International System of Units (SI) for weight, current, temperature and amount of chemical substance.
- The new definition of Kilogram will be replaced by the Planck constant.
- It will adopted on May 20, which is World Metrology Day. The new definition of kg involves accurate weighing machines called 'Kibble balance'.
10. Qaumi Ekta Week (National Integration Week) observed from 19th to 25th November
- Qaumi Ekta Week is observed across the country from 19th to 25th November to foster and reinforce the spirit of communal harmony and national integration.
- On November 19, National Integration Day was observed. On November 20, Welfare of Minorities Day is to be observed in which items of the 15 Point Programme may be emphasized.
- 21st November will be observed as Linguistic Harmony Day with special literacy functions and Kavi Sammelans to enable people of each region to appreciate the linguistic heritage of other parts of India.
- On November 22, Weaker Sections Day will be observed. On 23rd November, Cultural Unity Day will be observed. Women’s Day will be observed on 24th November.
- The ‘Qaumi Ekta Week’ will conclude on November 25 with observation of Conservation Day.
11. Brigadier Kuldip Singh Chandpuri, hero of Longewala battle, passed away at 78
- Brigadier (retired) Kuldip Singh Chandpuri is known as the hero of the Longewala battle against Pakistan in 1971.
- Brigadier Chandpuri had joined the Indian Army in 1962 and was commissioned to the 23rd Battalion of The Punjab Regiment.
- For his bravery, valour and spirit, Brigadier Chandpuri was the recipient of many awards and honours.
- Prominent among these were the Maha Vir Chakra - for defending the Longewala Post, and the Vishisht Seva Medal.
12. Ministry of Civil Aviation launched the upgraded version of AirSewa 2. 0 web portal
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation launched the upgraded version of AirSewa 2. 0 web portal and mobile app.
- It aims in providing superior user experience with enhanced functionalities to air travelers.
- The upgraded version operates through an interactive web portal as well as through a mobile app for both Android and iOS platforms.
- Several features are added. Features such as secure sign-up and log-in with social media, chatbot for travelers support, and improved grievance management, including social media grievances and details of flight schedule.
13. Indian army opts Russian Igla S missile
- India is to buy Russia’s Igla-S missile system as the choice for the Army’s multibillion-dollar contract for man-portable air defence systems.
- The Igla-S bid from Rosoboronexport of Russia has been declared the L1 in the Very Short Range Air Defence (VSHORAD) deal.
- The threat of U. S. sanctions for arms purchases from Russia doesn’t guarantee any certain transaction despite the declaration of the Russian bid.
- The other bidders were MBDA of France and SAAB of Sweden.
14. Jalaj Srivastava appointed as New IWAI Chairman
- IWAI comes under the Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport and Highways headed by Nitin Gadkari.
- He served as Chairman of New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) and Principal Secretary of Department of VAT, Delhi Government.
- Srivastava is known for the launching of “Shakti Cab” and “URJA” project for women.
15. ACC appointed Sumanta Chaudhuri as the new Coal Secretary and many others
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi named 1985-batch IAS from West Bengal cadre Sumanta Chaudhuri as the new Coal Secretary.
- He replaced Inder Jit Singh.
- Prior to this appointment, he was the Managing Director of Small Farmers Agri-Business Consortium.
16. Alexander Zverev beats world no. 1 Djokovic to win ATP Finals title
- Alexander Zverev of Germany defeated world number one Novak Djokovic to win his maiden ATP World Tour Finals title.
- The 21-year-old won with a scoreline of 6-4, 6-3 and became the youngest player to win the ATP title since Djokovic himself in 2008.
17. Industrial Park Rating System to be released by Commerce Ministry
- Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu released a report on Industrial Park Rating System at a national workshop in New Delhi.
Believe you can succeed!