Current Affairs 21st November, 2018
Posted on: 2018-11-21 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
21 November 2018
1. Union HRD Minister launches ‘Institution’s Innovation Council (IIC)’Program of MHRD’s Innovation Cell through video conferencing
- Union HRD Minister Shri Prakash Javadekar through video conferencing launched the ‘Institution’s Innovation Council (IIC)programunder Innovation cellof MHRD in New Delhi today.
- Ministry of Human Resource Development has established an “Innovation cell” at AICTE with a purpose to systematically foster the culture of Innovation in all Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) across the country.
2. Namami Gange projects in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal and Himachal Pradesh worth Rs. 1573. 28 Crore approved
- The Executive Committee (EC) of the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has approved ten projects worth Rs 1573. 28 crore.
- In a meeting held yesterday in the presence of Union Minister forWater Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Road Transport and Highwaysand Shipping Shri Nitin Gadkari and UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, , it was decided that a comprehensive solution needed to be worked out to address Yamuna’s pollution issues in Agra.
- The project for Rehabilitation / Renovation of Agra Sewerage Scheme (Interception & Diversion Works) has been conceived at a total cost of Rs. 857. 26 crore including O&M cost for 15 years.
3. Environment Ministry approved to induce artificial rain via cloud seeding to clear smog in Delhi
- The Environment Ministry approved a project led by scientists at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur to induce artificial rain via cloud seeding in Delhi. T
- he objective is to clear smog in Delhi.
4. Dr Jitendra Singh releases book Radio Kashmir in Times of Peace & War written by Dr Rajesh Bhat
The book published by Stellar Publishers.
- The book explains the role played by Radio Kashmir in serving the people of Kashmir and strengthening democratic institutions in Kashmir, since the inception of Radio Kashmir in 1947.
- Dr Rajesh Bhat serves in the Policy Division of Directorate General, All India Radio, New Delhi.
5. UNESCO along with World Jewish congress launched Holocaust education website
- The U. N. culture and education agency has teamed up with the World Jewish Congress and launched “Facts about the Holocaust ” site at the cultural agency’s Paris headquarters.
- The "Fact about the Holocaust" site is a website to counter Holocaust denial and anti-Semitism.
6. Indo Japan Business Councils Business Festival Held In Pune
- The Indo-Japan Business Council (IJBC), hosted KONNICHI WA PUNE – a first of its kind business festival in Pune.
- The festival was aimed to boost investment, promote businesses and cultural exchange between India and Japan.
7. NASA picked ancient Martian river delta for Mars 2020 rover landing
- NASA has picked Jezero Crater, an ancient river delta, as the landing site for its Mars 2020 rover.
- The Mars 2020 mission is to hunt for evidence of past life on the earth’s neighboring planet.
- Even though the Red Planet is now cold and dry, the landing site was filled with a 500-meter deep lake that opened to a network of rivers some 3. 5 to 3. 9 billion years ago.
- Mars 2020 has been designed to land inside the crater and collect samples that will eventually be returned to Earth for further analysis, perhaps by the later 2020s.
- The Mars 2020 will look at rocks on a finer scale to see what biosignatures are preserved.
8. Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen in Fortune Business Person of the Year 2018 list
- The list ranks 20 business executives delivering on the bottom line and beyond.
- Fifty-six-year-old Shantanu Narayen ranks 12th on the list.
- The list is topped by Tricia Griffith, CEO of insurance company Progressive.
9. Indo-US joint military exercise 'Vajra Prahar' commenced in Jaipur
- Army's Indo-US Joint Special Forces Exercise 2018 commenced on November 19 at Mahajan Field Firing Range (MFFR), Bikaner and will conclude on December 2.
- The American Special Forces will carry out 12 days rigorous joint training in semi desert and rural terrain with an aim to enhance the inter-operability of the two armed forces and further the military to military co-operation.
10. Jio partnered with KDDI for international roaming on VoLTE
- Mukesh Ambani led Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd. partnered with KDDI Corporation launched Voice over Long Term Evolution (VoLTE)-based inbound international roaming between India and Japan.
11. Twenty Seventh BASIC Ministerial Meeting on Climate Change held in New Delhi
- The meeting was chaired by Dr Harsh Vardhan, Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change of India.
- Ministers welcomed the 184 ratifications, till date, of the Paris Agreement adopted under the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change).
- He listed their priorities under the Paris Agreement Work Programme to ensure implementation of the global climate deal after 2020.
12. India and World Bank Sign $310 million Loan Agreement For Jharkhand
- The Government of India, the Government of Jharkhand and the World Bank signed in New Delhi a $310 million Loan Agreement for Jharkhand Power System Improvement Project to provide reliable, quality, and affordable 24×7 electricity to the citizens of Jharkhand.
- The Jharkhand Power System Improvement Project will help build new power transmission infrastructure, as well as put in place systems to improve the technical efficiency and commercial performance of the state power sector utilities.
13. Global education monitoring report 2019 released by UNESCO
- The report shows that the number of migrant and refugee school-age children around the world today has grown by 26% since 2000 and could fill half a million classrooms.
- The literacy levels in rural households of India dip with seasonal migration.
- About 80% of seasonal migrant children in seven cities lacked access to education near work sites.
14. UN General Assembly adopts 1st resolution on sexual harassment
- The Third Committee of the UN General Assembly has adopted a resolution on sexual harassment, the first of its kind at the world body.
15. India slips 2 places on 'Global Talent Ranking'; Switzerland on top
- India has slipped two places to rank 53rd on a global annual talent ranking released by IMD Business School Switzerland.
- While Switzerland has topped the global ranking for the fifth year in a row, it is followed by Denmark, Norway, Austria and the Netherlands in the top-five.
- Within Asia, Singapore has topped the charts with a global 13th place on the list that ranks 63 countries in developing, attracting and retaining talent.
- Among BRICS nations, Brazil is ranked 58th, South African 50th and Russia 46th.
16. India, Russia sign $500-mn deal to build 2 warships in Goa
- The Goa Shipyard Limited and Russia's Rosoboronexport signed the agreement for the Grigorovich-class 'Project 11356' frigates with technology transfer from Russia.
- The construction of the warships will begin in 2020 and the first one will be delivered in 2026, while second one will be ready by 2027.
- India inked an Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) with Russia for the four frigates in 2016.
- The Indian Navy currently operates six such stealth frigates — three Talwar class and three Teg class — bought from Russia and inducted between 2003 and 2013.
17. Maldives to rejoin the Commonwealth after 2 years
- The new president of the Maldives Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has decided that the country will rejoin the Commonwealth group of former British colonies after a two-year absence.
- Maldives left the Commonwealth during former President Abdulla Yameen's administration in October 2016, amid mounting pressure over corruption and deteriorating human rights.
18. Chennai Airport awarded for 100% Grievance Redressal
- The Union Minister of Civil Aviation and Commerce & Industry, Suresh Prabhu, and Minister of State for Civil Aviation, Jayant Sinha launched the upgraded version of AirSewa 2. 0 web portal and mobile app in New Delhi.
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation launched AirSewa web portal and mobile app in November 2016 to address Air passengers’ issues.
Believe you can succeed!