Current Affairs 23rd November, 2018
Posted on: 2018-11-23 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
23 November 2018
1. Third Sayaji Ratna Award received by Film superstar Amitabh Bachchan
- Amitabh Bachchan awarded the third Sayaji Ratna Award in Laxmi Vilas Palace, Vadodara for his social contribution to pay off the loans of several farmers from Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- He had helped 1,398 farmers from Uttar Pradesh and 350 from Maharashtra through his contribution.
2. World leaders to participate in virtual climate summit to cut carbon footprint
- World leaders are to participate in an innovative climate change summit that is to be taken place entirely online so it is carbon neutral.
- The eco-friendly event stands in stark contrast to many other international political summits, which involve thousands of delegates jetting across the world to a venue where they stay in air-conditioned comfort.
- The Virtual Climate Summit is the brainchild of Marshall Islands President Hilda Heine, whose low-lying Pacific island nation will drown beneath rising seas if global warming continues unabated.
3. Paytm partners with LIC for insurance premium payments
- Softbank-backed, digital payments service provider, Paytm (One 97 Communications Limited) partnered with the Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) to offer online insurance premium payments on its platform.
- A simpler and faster method of premium payments will be offered through the Paytm app with the freedom of paying premium through debit card, credit card, net banking and Paytm Wallet, besides availing the benefit of several deals and offers.
- Life insurance sector in India is the biggest in the world in terms of policy count with about 360 million policies.
- It is expected to increase at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 12-15 % over the next five years.
4. Australia and Poland join US rejection of UN migration pact
- Australia and Poland refused to sign a UN pact on migration because the agreement would undermine their existing immigration policies.
- A draft of the agreement, which is not legally binding, was finalized in 2017 after more than a year of work.
5. U. S. suspended USD 1. 66 billion assistance to Pakistan
- The U. S. suspended $1. 66 billion in security assistance to Pakistan.
- This happened days after President Donald Trump said the country does not do “a damn thing” for America alleging that its government had helped al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden hide near its garrison city of Abbottabad.
- Ties between the US and Pakistan strained after Trump, while announcing his Afghanistan and South Asia policy in August last year, hit out at Pakistan for providing safe havens to "agents of chaos" that kill Americans in Afghanistan and warned Islamabad that it has "much to lose" by harboring terrorists.
- In September, the Trump administration cancelled USD 300 million in military aid to Islamabad for not doing enough against terror groups like the Haqqani Network and the Taliban active on its soil.
6. WTO panels afreed to review U. S. steel, aluminium tariffs
- The World Trade Organization (WTO) agreed to hear complaints from a range of countries over new U. S. steel and aluminum tariffs, as well as complaints from Washington over retaliatory duties.
- The WTO’s Dispute Settlement Body (DSB) agreed to establish panels to review U. S. President Donald Trump’s decision to hit a long line of countries with tariffs of 25% on steel and 10% on aluminum.
- The DSB is to create separate panels for the complaints by the European Union (EU), China, Canada, Mexico, Norway, and Russia.
- This move will after the U. S. said it would not agree to a single panel to hear all of them.
7. India ranked 5th in the list of most vacation deprived nation in the world: Expedia
- Expedia Vacation Deprivation Report 2018 was released that stated that India is among the most vacation deprived nation in the world ranking 5th among the 19 surveyed countries.
- As per data, 53 percent of Indians take fewer vacation days than they get. 35 percent don’t take leave as work schedule does not allow for vacation.
- 68 percent of Indians have ended up canceling their vacation due to work.
8. Institutions Innovation Council, innovation cell for higher education institutions launched HRD Ministry in New Delhi
- HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar launched the Institution’s Innovation Council through video conferencing at the AICTE headquarters in New Delhi.
- The main objective of this initiative is to encourage, inspire and nurture young students by exposing them to new ideas.
9. IIM Calcutta Innovation Park and ICC signed MoU for energizing startup ecosystem in East and Northeast India
- The Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC) signed a memorandum of understanding with the IIM Calcutta Innovation Park to help facilitate incubation of start-ups primarily in the Eastern and North Eastern states.
- The main focus on developing start-up ecosystems that make a socio-economic impact in the eastern and north eastern states.
- The park is currently incubating 40 startups with almost half from Bengal. It will further add 10 more by the end of this fiscal.
- The company has in the last two years selected 25-odd start-ups for incubation.
Believe you can succeed!