Current Affairs 24th November, 2018
Posted on: 2018-11-24 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
24 November 2018
1. Designers of Urban wind turbine O-Wind Turbine, Nicolas Orellana of Chile and Yaseen Noorani from Kenya, won 2018 International James Dyson award
- The prestigious International James Dyson award 2018 was won by Nicolas Orellana of Chile and Yaseen Noorani from Kenya for their innovative design ‘Urban wind turbine’ called O-Wind Turbine.
- It help cities to harness energy to produce electricity and was inspired from NASA’s Mars Tumbleweed Rover.
- It is a sphere shaped object with vents that spins and converts the power of the wind into electricity.
2. NASA to review workplace culture at SpaceX, Boeing
- NASA, the U. S. space agency, has ordered a sweeping safety review of operations and workplace culture, including drug-free policies at Boeing and SpaceX.
- The two companies are currently working to send astronauts to space.
- The review will start next year as the agency focuses on safe and successful commercial crew missions to the International Space Station (ISS).
- NASA also announced that all its commercial partners to meet all workplace safety requirements including the adherence to a drug-free environment.
3. WCCB won Asia Environment Enforcement Awards for combating transboundary environmental crime
- The Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) was selected for the Asia Environmental Enforcement Award 2018, for its outstanding contributions in combating the trans-boundary environmental crime by United Nations Environment program.
- WCCB is a statutory multi-disciplinary body established by the government under the Environment Ministry to combat organized wildlife crime in the country.
- This is the second time in a row that the awards are being given by UN Environment to India.
- WCCB’s enforcement officer RS Sharath was also selected for Asia Environmental Enforcement Awards 2018 under the individual category.
4. Karnataka State to introduce biometric attendance system in govt. colleges
- Karnataka State is to introduce biometric attendance system in government colleges.
- The Biometric system of attendance will also be introduced in the colleges under Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode.
- The teachers and staff of the colleges running in shifts will have to perform the duty for minimum seven hours divided into shifts.
- Higher Education Minister Prem Prakash Pandey said that the decision has been taken on directives issued by the Chief Minister Raman Singh in a meeting of the Department.
5. Professor S. P. Ganguly conferred the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle, highest recognition to be given to a foreigner by Mexico
- For the first time, the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle, the highest civilian honor given to a foreigner by Mexico, was awarded to Professor Shyama Prasad Ganguly in the India International Center (IIC).
- He was decorated with the striking gold-yellow insignia by Mexican Ambassador Melba Pria.
- The award was in recognition of his “outstanding work in the study and dissemination of the Spanish language and Mexican culture”.
6. Firhad Hakim to be the new Mayor of Kolkata Municipal Corporation
- West Bengal Urban Development Minister Firhad Hakim is set to be the new Mayor of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
- He was elected unanimously by the councillors of the Trinamool Congress on November 22.
- The councillors decided on his name in the presence of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
- Mr. Hakim will be the first Muslim Mayor of KMC, founded in 1876, since Independence.
- The announcement of his candidature was preceded by the resignation of Sovan Chatterjee.
- The West Bengal Assembly passed The Kolkata Municipal Corporation (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018, to facilitate the election of a candidate who is not a councillor of the city’s civic body as its Mayor.
7. Baishnab Charan Parida Ex MP of Odisha passed away
- Baishnab Charan Parida, the former Biju Janata Dal Rajya Sabha member, passed away after a prolonged illness here on November 22. He was 77 years old. Parida is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.
- He was a prominent politician, writer, and promoter of Odia language. Parida was elected to the Rajya Sabha in July 2010 and his term had ended in July 2016.
8. Joyce Msuya appointed as acting Executive Director of UNEP
- Tanzanian biologist Joyce Msuya appointed as acting Executive Director of United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) after the resignation of Erik Solheim.
- Erik Solheim resigned from the post of Executive director of UNEP following an internal audit report that said he had gobbled up $500,000 in unnecessary and budgeted travel expenses in just 22 months.
- Msuya Msuya previously worked with World Bank and she is consistently advocating for conservation of the planet.
9. Whatsapp appoints Abhijit Bose as India head, to set up team in Gurugram
- Facebook-owned Messaging Company WhatsApp appointed Abhijit Bose, co-founder, and CEO of Payment device maker Ezetap as the head of WhatsApp India.
- Abhijit Bose who has 17 years of experience in product management, product development and product marketing with expertise in software and mobile market will join WhatsApp in early 2019 and he is going to build WhatsApp biggest team outside the USA in Gurugram.
10. India and Pakistan to commit to Kartarpur corridor
- India and Pakistan exchanged letters to commit themselves to build the required infrastructure for visa-free direct travel by Sikh pilgrims to Pakistan’s Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara, allowing them to mark the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev in November 2019.
- Pakistani Minister described the move as the “victory of peace lobbies” in both countries.
- Officials of both countries are to meet soon to discuss the logistics of the corridor and the point of border-crossing where the roads, which pilgrims on the Indian side will take from Dera Guru Nanak Dev in Gurdaspur district, will lead directly to the border, and from the Pakistani side of the border directly to the Kartarpur Darbar Sahib Gurdwara.
Believe you can succeed!