Current Affairs 27th November, 2018
Posted on: 2018-11-27 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
27 November 2018
1. WhatsApp Business Head Neeraj Arora Resigns
- WhatsApp’s Chief Business Officer Neeraj Arora has resigned from the post after 7-years in the company.
- His exit comes seven months after WhatsApp co-founder Jan Koum left the company.
- Arora had been an integral part of WhatsApp since 2011 and played a vital role in the company’s acquisition by Facebook in 2014.
- Neeraj Arora was the front-runner for the post of the CEO at WhatsApp after the departure of Koum.
2. Govt hikes outlay for first phase of FAME India scheme to Rs 895 crore
- The phase-I of the Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid) and Electric Vehicles (FAME India) scheme was supposed to be implemented over a two-year period commencing from April 1, 2015.
- The Ministry of Finance has approved the enhancement of the total outlay on the first phase of the scheme from Rs 795 crore to Rs 895 crore.
3. Saina Nehwal wins silver at Syed Modi International 2018, Sameer Verma Retains Title
- World number nine Saina Nehwal bagged silver at Syed Modi International Badminton Championships 2018 after losing to world number 27 Han Yue.
- India's Sameer Verma defeated Lu Guangzu of China in the men's singles final to successfully defend and win the Syed Modi International Championships in Lucknow.
4. Centre and ADB Sign 200 Million Dollar Loan Pact To Upgrade State Highways In Bihar
- The Centre and Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed a 200 million dollar loan agreement to finance widening and upgrading of about 230 Kilometers State Highways in Bihar to all-weather standards with road safety features.
- The agreement was signed by Additional Secretary in the Finance Ministry Sameer Kumar Khare and Officer-in-Charge of ADB’s India Resident Mission, Rajeev P Singh in New Delhi.
5. Ohio becomes the first US state to accept taxes in Bitcoin
- Ohio will become the first US state to accept payment of taxes by businesses in Bitcoin, beginning this week.
- Businesses can pay 23 different taxes with Bitcoin, from employee withholding tax to fuel and sales tax, through an online cryptocurrency portal.
- The state will use BitPay, a cryptocurrency global payment system, to complete the process.
7. NASA InSight Lands On Mars 7 Months After Launch
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) InSight spacecraft landed on Mars after nearly a 7 months, 458-million-kilometer journey, and a 6. 5-minute parachuted descent through the Red Planet’s atmosphere.
- The 360-kg lander also shared its first photo from Mars, showing an area called Elysium Planitia, where it will dig five meters below the surface.
8. National Milk Day observed on 26 November
- National Milk Day that was started in 2014 on 26th November to mark the birth anniversary of the father of White Revolution, Dr Verghese Kurien was celebrated in the Meghalaya for the first time.
- Kurien was the architect of Operation Flood which was launched in 1970 by India's National Dairy Development Board (NDDB).
- India's Operation flood was the world's biggest dairy development program which gave a major thrust to the milk production of the nation.
9. Aadi Mahotsav Organized By Tribal Affairs Ministry in New Delhi
- The 4th edition of annual “Aadi Mahotsav”, a National Tribal Festival organized by Ministry of Tribal Affairs in association with TRIFED and Ministry of Culture to celebrate and cherish the spirit of tribal culture, craft, cuisine and commerce held at Dilli Haat, Shri Aurobindo Marg, INA, Delhi.
- This year, more than 600 tribal artisans from 23 states, 80 tribal chefs hailing from 20 States besides 14 cultural troupes comprising more than 200 artists are taking part in the Mahotsav.
10. Telangana CEO Dr Rajat Kumar inaugurated five-day exhibition on Our Vote- Our Future in Hyderabad
- Telangana Chief Electoral Officer Dr Rajat Kumar inaugurated a five-day exhibition on “Our Vote- Our Future” in Hyderabad.
- This exhibition was organized by the Regional Outreach Bureau of Information and Broadcasting Ministry.
- The main aim is to increase the polling percentage of at least 10 percent.
11. UN selects Noida, Greater Noida to participate in Global Sustainable Cities 2025 initiative
- A senior UN official said the twin-cities in Gautam Buddh Nagar district, adjoining the national capital, have been selected in the "University City" category ahead of Mumbai and Bengaluru as the only invitee from India.
- Overall 25 cities across the world have been selected in five categories by the UN Global Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) cities initiative.
- In September 2015, the UN General Assembly adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development that includes 17 SDGs, otherwise known as the Global Goals, a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity.
12. IFFI nominates 12 movies for ICFT UNESCO Gandhi Medal
- The International Film Festival of India (IFFI) has nominated 12 movies for this year’s International Council for Film, Television and Audio-visual Communication (ICFT) UNESCO Gandhi Medal.
- Of these 12 films, two are from India and the rest are foreign movies. The two Indian movies competing for the honour are Tamil film Baaram and Ladakhi movie Walking with the Wind.
13. Sunil Arora appointed new Chief Election Commissioner
- Sunil Arora will take charge on December 2. He will replace outgoing Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) OP Rawat.
- A former bureaucrat, Arora was appointed as election commissioner on August 31, 2017.
- Arora, 62, had been the information and broadcasting secretary, and the secretary in the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- A 1980-batch IAS officer of the Rajasthan cadre, Arora has worked in ministries such as finance, textiles and the Planning Commission.
14. Gujarat topped in implementing Ayushman Bharat after 2 months of launch: NHA
- According to the National Health Agency, after 2 months of the launch of Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, Gujarat emerged as the top performer under the scheme.
- Around 76,000 hospital admissions have been cleared in Gujarat since September 23, Tamil Nadu ranked second at 54,273 and Chhattisgarh third at 53,180 sanctioned hospitals.
- Karnataka and Maharashtra rank 4th and 5th closing off the top 5 ranks under the scheme.
- Although Uttar Pradesh and Bihar accounted for the highest number of beneficiaries, they still rank among the lowest performers so far.
- UP verified 1. 18 crore families as beneficiaries and in Bihar, the number is 1. 09 crore families.
15. Australia won the ICC Women's World T20 title for the fourth time
- Australia defeated England by eight wickets in the final at North Sound, Antigua.
- Overall Meg Lanning (Australia) has made the most runs in any tournament 257 runs, while Anya Shrubsole (England) has got the overall/most wickets in the women's T20 world cup with 13 wickets.
- Harmanpreet Kaur (India) has been appointed as the skipper for the ICC Women’s World T20 XI.
16. Govt transferred over Rs 1,600 crore to 48. 5 lakh mothers under PMKVY: CDFI
- According to Centre for Digital Financial Inclusion (CDFI), the government had transferred over Rs 1,600 crore to 48. 5 lakh mothers under Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana through direct benefit transfer.
- The exact figure is Rs 16,04,66,63,000 and the process have been conceptualized, designed and implemented by CDFI through the PMMVY-CAS (Common Application Software) System.
17. India To Lay Foundation Stone For Kartarpur Corridor Route
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu laid the foundation stone of the Dera Baba Nanak Kartarpur Sahib corridor for Gurudwara Kartarpur Sahib in Pakistan.
- Gurudwara Kartarpur Sahib is situated in district Narowal 4 KM away from Indo Pak border in Pakistan.
- Presently Sikh pilgrims have to go through long visa processes and they have to wait for the particular dates of buses to reach Gurudwara via Wagah border only.
Believe you can succeed!