Current Affairs 29th November, 2018
Posted on: 2018-11-29 Posted by: CLAT Gurukul Category: General Knowledge
29 November 2018
1. Arvind Saxena appointed as Chairman of UPSC
- Saxena will have tenure till August 7, 2020, when he attains the age of 65 years.
- He has been working as acting head of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) since June 20.
- He took over charge from Vinay Mittal who had completed his term.
- Saxena joined the UPSC as a member on May 8, 2015.
- Prior to joining the UPSC, he was working as director of the Aviation Research Centre (ARC).
2. Electric cars set to replace diesel, petrol vehicles in Telangana State offices
- The Telangana government offices are soon to make way for electric cars as the State aims at promoting non-polluting vehicles.
- The government has brought in the Electric Mobility Policy 2018-2023 to encourage the use of carbon-free cars.
3. CSIR To Establish A High-End Skill Development Centre In Chandigarh
- CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology (CSIR-IMTECH) announced a new partnership with Merck, a leading German science and technology company, to establish a ‘High End Skill Development Centre’ in CSIR-IMTECH, Chandigarh.
4. Brazil lost forests equal to 1 mn football pitches due to deforestation
- In Brazil, the deforestation has reached its height that an area equivalent to one million football pitches was lost in just one year.
5. G20 Summit 2018 begins in Argentina
- The 2018 G20 Summit began on November 28, 2018 in the city of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- It is the 13th meeting of Group of Twenty (G20) and the first G20 summit to be hosted in South America.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be representing India at the Summit and is scheduled to meet US President Donald Trump, Chinese President Xi Jinping, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, Argentina President Mauricio Macri, Chilean President Sebastian Pinera and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, on the sidelines of the summit.
6. President of India Receives the First Copy of the book Making of New India
- The book is edited by the nationalist think-tank Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee Research Foundation (SPMRF) and members of the Niti Aayog
7. International Gita Festival to be held from Dec 7-23 in Kurukshetra
- The International Gita Festival, 2018, will be organised in Kurukshetra in Haryana from December 7-23, in which Mauritius will be the partner country and Gujarat the partner state.
8. RBI launches survey on India's startup sector
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) launched a Survey on India’s startup sector (SISS) with an endeavor to create a profile of the startup sector in India and provide dimensions relating to turnover, profitability and workforce.
9. Miko 2 IIT-Bombay graduates launch Indias first advanced personal robot for kids
- Graduates of Indian Institute of Technology – Bombay (IIT-B) who are Co-founders of a start-up called Emotix have launched India’s first advanced personal robot Miko 2 for Kids.
- IIT Bombay graduates Sneh Rajkumar Vaswani along with his batchmates Prashant Iyengar and Chintan Raikar have founded the Tech start-up Emotix.
- Miko 2 is India’s first advanced robot that can see, hear, sense, express, talk, recognize faces, remember names, Identify moods and initiate a conversation.
10. Logix India 2019 will be held in New Delhi
- ‘Logix India 2019’, which will be held from January 31 to February 2, 2019, in New Delhi.
- The event is aimed at improving logistics cost effectiveness and operational efficiencies for India’s Global Trade.
- Ranked 44 in the World Bank Logistics Performance Index 2018, logistics costs in India are 13-15 per cent of the product cost, while the global average is six per cent.
11. Donbass won Golden Peacock award at the 49th IFFI
- Donbass, a Ukrainian film directed by Sergei Loznitsa, won the coveted Golden Peacock award at the 49th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) at Panaji, Goa on 28th November.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 40 lakh, a trophy, and a citation.
- The film tells the story of a hybrid war taking place in Eastern Ukraine, involving an open armed conflict alongside killings and robberies perpetrated on a mass scale by separatist gangs.
12. Himachal Pradesh first state to launch single emergency number '112'
- Himachal Pradesh became the first state to launch a pan-India single emergency number ‘112’ where all kinds of immediate help can be sought in urgent matters.
13. IAS Ranbir Singh appointed as Chief Electoral Officer of Delhi
- Batch IAS Officer, Ranbir Singh served as the commissioner of East Delhi Municipal Corporation was appointed as the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) of Delhi.
- Ranbir Singh will succeed Vijay Kumar Dev who had been appointed as the chief secretary of the Delhi Government.
14. NCLT appointed board of IL FS to monetise green assets
- The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT)-appointed board of the Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Ltd. (IL&FS), acting on behalf of its relevant subsidiaries has initiated the process of exploring the sale of the controlling stake held by the IL&FS Group in renewable energy assets and businesses.
15. National Projects Construction Corporation Limited NPCC conferred with the status of Miniratna
- The Government of India conferred the National Projects Construction Corporation Limited (NPCC) with the status of Miniratna
16. Vijay Varma and P. Rajkumar were awarded the Asian of The Year awards
- Indian Navy commander Vijay Varma and Captain P. Rajkumar were among those honored at the ‘Asian of The Year’ awards at Singapore on 28th November.
- The two were acknowledged for their selfless service and bravery in rescue operations during the Kerala floods.
17. Nepal launched contribution based Social Security Scheme for formal sector workers
- The scheme introduced to address that issue of accountability of the state to its people.
- The scheme will be compulsorily applicable to formal sector workers and will be further extended to informal sector workers.
18. Defence Minister Smt Nirmala Sitharaman launched Mission Raksha
- The main aim is to provide a boost to the Intellectual Property Right (IPR) culture in indigenous defence industry.
- The event showcased the successful outcomes of adopting and utilizing the Intellectual Property Right (IPR) applications which enhanced inventions and innovations among Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs).
- Department of Defence Production and Directorate General Quality Assurance (DGQA) had a significant role in spreading awareness about the benefits of creating the Intellectual Property culture in the defence sector.
Believe you can succeed!