The Common Law Admission Test also known as CLAT is an all India entrance examination conducted on rotation by the fifteen National Law Schools (Universities) for admission to their undergraduate and post graduate programmes, i.e., BA LL.B & LL.M, respectively.
The list of the participating National Law Schools (Universities) is given at the end of this write-up.
About Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) :
- Conducted every year by the participating National Law Schools (Universities) on rotation basis.
- Conducted in an offline/paper –pencil mode.
- Held in 2 categories :
a) Undergraduate (UG)
CLAT UG Eligibility (5-Yr. law i.e.BA/BBA + LLB) Criteria –
· A candidate should have obtained a Senior Secondary School/Intermediate (10+2) or its equivalent certificate from a recognized Board with not less than 45% marks in aggregate (40% in case of SC and ST candidates)
· should be below 20 years of age (22 years in case of SC and ST candidates)
· Candidates who are appearing or have appeared in the 10+2 examination and are awaiting results are also eligible. However, such candidates are required to have passed the qualifying examination at the time of their admission and should be able to submit proofs in support of their claims.
CLAT is also conducted in PG category and candidates who have obtained a 3 Yr. LL. B/B. L. Degree or an equivalent degree from a recognized University with not less than 55% marks in aggregate (50% in case of SC and ST candidates) are eligible to appear in this test.
The 20 participating NLUs in the order of their establishment are:
National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU)
National Academy of Legal Study & Research (NALSAR) University of Law, Hyderabad
National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU)
The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS)
National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)
Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU)
Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU)
Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU)
Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala (RGNUL)
Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU)
National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS)
National Law University Odisha, Cuttack (NLUO)
National University of Study & Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL)
National Law University & Judicial Academy, Assam, Guwahati (NLUJAA)
Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, AP, Vizag (DSNLU)
Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tamil Nadu, Trichy (TNNLS)
Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai (MNLU, Mumbai)
Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur (MNLU, Nagpur)
Maharashtra National Law University, Aurangabad (MNLU, Aurangabad)
Dharmashastra National Law University, Jabalpur (DNLU)
Syllabus of CLAT
The Himachal Pradesh National Law University, Shimla is also expected to be the part of CLAT from 2019.