- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Lt Gen Gurmit Singh, who retired as the deputy chief of Army, governor of Uttarakhand, a post which fell vacant after Baby Rani Maurya tendered her resignation.
- According to a Rashtrapati Bhavan communique, President Ram Nath Kovind accepted the resignation of Maurya and appointed Singh as the governor of the state.
- Shuffling of governors:
- The President also appointed Banwarilal Purohit, currently the Governor of Tamil Nadu, as the Governor of Punjab.
- N.Ravi, presently the Governor of Nagaland, has been made the Governor of Tamil Nadu.
- Professor Jagdish Mukhi, Governor of Assam is appointed to discharge the functions of the Governor of Nagaland in addition to his own duties until regular arrangements are made.
- The President’s office, in an official release, mentioned that the new appointments will take effect from the dates they assume charge of their respective offices.
(SOURCE: INDIAN EXPRESS)
- Cuba became the first country in the world to vaccinate children from the age of two against COVID-19, using home-grown jabs not recognised by the World Health Organisation.
- The communist island of 11.2 million people aims to inoculate all its children before reopening schools that have been closed for the most part since March 2020.
- Countries such as China, the United Arab Emirates and Venezuela have announced they plan to vaccinate younger children, but Cuba is the first to do so.
- The Cuban vaccines, the first developed in Latin America, have not undergone international, scientific peer review.
(SOURCE: THE HINDU)
- Union Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh and Union Highways Minister, Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the Emergency Landing Facility on a National Highway in Rajasthan.
- This emergency landing facility has been constructed on the Satta-Gandhav stretch of National Highway (NH) 925A in Barmer, Rajasthan.
- This is the first time that a national highway (NH-925) will be used for the emergency landing of IAF aircraft. The project will cost ₹765.52 crores under the Bharatmala Pariyojana.
- About the highway: The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has developed a 3-km section of the Satta-Gandhav stretch of NH-925A, as an emergency landing facility (ELF) for the IAF.
- It is part of a newly developed two-lane paved shoulder of the Gagariya-Bakhasar and Satta-Gandhav section having a total length of 196.97 km.
- Apart from the Emergency Landing Strip, 3 helipads (size 100 x 30 metres each) have been constructed in Kundanpura, Singhania and Bakhasar villages in this project, according to the requirements of the Air Force/Indian Army, which will be the basis for strengthening the Indian Army and security network on the western international border of the country.
(SOURCE: JAGRAN JOSH)
- The Union Minister of Education, Dharmendra Pradhan released the NIRF India Rankings 2021, on September 09, 2021, through video conferencing.
- The NIRF India Rankings 2021 is the sixth edition of the annual list which ranks higher educational institutions in the country based on objective criteria to promote competitive excellence.
- In Overall Winner: The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has retained the top spot in the overall category.
- List of Winners:
- Overall: Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras)
- University: Indian Institute of Science, (IISc) Bangaluru
- Management: Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Ahmedabad
- College: Miranda House, Delhi
- Pharmacy: Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
- Medical: All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Delhi
- Engineering: Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras
- Architecture: Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Dental: Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Udupi
- Law: National Law School of India University (NLSUI), Bengaluru
- Research Institutions: Indian Institute of Science, (IISc) Bangalore
(SOURCE: HINDUSTAN TIMES)
- Bank of Baroda has announced the launch of its digital banking platform named ‘bob World’.
- The aim of the platform is to provide all banking services under one roof. The pilot test of the platform began on August 23, 2021.
- Over 220 services will be converged into one single app, covering nearly 95 per cent of all retail banking services, which can be accessed by customers domestically and globally.
- About the app: Bob World’ will offer a wide gamut of banking products and services, to be rolled out in phases, under four key pillars — Save, Invest, Borrow and Shop.
- It has also integrated e-commerce to provide a wholesome and rewarding experience of banking and beyond, under one roof to the customers.
- Bank of Baroda Headquarters: Vadodara, Gujarat, India.
- Bank of Baroda Chairman: Hasmukh Adhia.
- Bank of Baroda MD & CEO: Sanjiv Chadha.
(SOURCE: FINANCIAL EXPRESS)
- International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) observes World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD) on 10 September every year.
- The purpose of this day is to raise awareness around the globe that suicide can be prevented.
- The theme for the 2021 World Suicide Prevention Day is “Creating hope through action”.
- History of World Suicide Prevention Day: The International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) collaborates with the World Health Organization (WHO) and the World Federation for Mental Health (WFMH) to host World Suicide Prevention Day with various activities around the world since 2003.
- IASP Founded by the late Professor Erwin Ringel and Dr Norman Farberow in 1960.
- World EV Day is observed on September 9 every year.
- The day marks the celebration of e-mobility. Special awareness campaigns are organised globally to educate people about the benefits of electric vehicles. World EV Day was an initiative created by the sustainability media company GreenTV.
- The first World EV day was observed in 2020. China is the largest EV market in the world.
- It was largely a social media campaign that encouraged drivers to recognise the benefits of electric vehicles and make a commitment that the next car they drive will be electric and not run on conventional fuels.
(SOURCE: JAGRAN JOSH)