- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced a Rs 11,000 crore National Edible Oil Mission-Oil Palm (NMEO-OP) to make India self-sufficient in cooking oils, including palm oil.
- The government will ensure that farmers get all the facilities, from quality seeds to technology under the mission.
- While India has become self-sufficient in rice, wheat and sugar, it was not enough as the country is hugely dependent on imported edible oils.
- The Centre has already been running a National Mission on Oilseeds and Oil Palm to boost oilseeds and palm oil production in India for the last few years with an aim to lower imports.
(SOURCE: INDIAN EXPRESS)
- Iran’s new President Ebrahim Raisi named the chairman of a powerful state-owned foundation sanctioned by the United States as his first vice-president.
- Mohammad Mokhber has for years headed the foundation known as Setad or the Execution of Imam Khomeini’s order.
- Mokhber was appointed to the position by the supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in 2007.
- The Setad was originally founded in the late 1980s to manage confiscated properties following the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
- Iran Capital:
- Iran Currency: Iranian toman.
(SOURCE: THE PRINT)
- India is ranked 122nd on a new Global Youth Development Index 2020 measuring the condition of young people across 181 countries, released by the Commonwealth Secretariat in London.
- Singapore ranked topmost followed by Slovenia, Norway, Malta and Denmark. Chad, the Central African Republic, South Sudan, Afghanistan and Niger came last respectively.
- The triennial rankings of youth development found India among the top five risers on the index between 2010 and 2018, alongside Afghanistan and Russia, advancing their score on average by 15.74 per cent across areas such as education and employment.
- About the index: The index ranks countries between 0.00 (lowest) and 1.00 (highest) according to the developments in youth education, employment, health, equality and inclusion, peace and security, and political and civic participation.
- It looks at 27 indicators including literacy and voting to showcase the state of the world’s 1.8 billion people between the age of 15 and 29.
- The 2020 Global Youth Development Index reveals that the conditions of young people have improved around the world by 3.1 per cent between 2010 and 2018.
- Overall, the index shows advances in youth’s participation in peace processes and their education, employment, inclusion and health care since 2010.
(SOURCE: LIVE MINT)
- Nagaland has been conferred with seven national awards on the first Van Dhan Annual Awards 2020-21, during the celebration of the 34th foundation day of the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED).
- The awards were presented by Union tribal minister, Arjun Munda through a Zoom webinar.
- In which category Nagaland received awards:
- Meanwhile, the state has received seven national awards, such as 1st positions in – ‘Best Survey State’, ‘Best Training’, and ‘Most number of VDVKC’s established’.
- It has attained 3rd position for ‘Best Sales Generated’, and ‘Best Innovation & Creativity.
- The state has also received Awards for Innovative & Creative Product Ideas for commodities like – Gooseberry Wine (Supplier: Toka Multipurpose Society Ltd.); Mushroom Cultivation (Supplier: NBHM).
(SOURCE: INDIAN EXPRESS)
- India will host the first Internet Governance Forum in the country, starting from October 20, this year. The theme of this year’s meeting is Inclusive Internet for Digital India.
- With this announcement, the Indian chapter of the United Nations-based forum namely the Internet Governance Forum has begun.
- It’s an Internet Governance policy discussion platform to bring representatives together from various groups, considering all at par to discuss public policy issues related to the Internet.
- National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI), Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) and the Chairman of the Coordination Committee, India Internet Governance Forum 2021 (IGF), announced the launch of India Internet Governance Forum (IIGF) -2021.
(SOURCE: HINDUSTAN TIMES)
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has unveiled ‘Digital Prayaas’ an app-based digital-lending platform to facilitate loans to entrepreneurs from low-income groups.
- The objective is to sanction a loan by the end of the day. The platform has engaged in the promotion, financing and development of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
- To cater to those from the urban area, SIDBI has tied up with BigBasket to provide loans to its delivery partners for the purchase of e-bikes and e-vans.
- The SIDBI-BigBasket initiative would create digital footprints that would further facilitate loans to the borrower’s family members for their own micro-enterprises.
- SIDBI should enter into similar arrangements with more partner institutions to increase its outreach.
(SOURCE: MONEY CONTROL)
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has started a public awareness campaign to warn people against digital banking frauds.
- For the new campaign, RBI has roped in Olympic Gold medalist Neeraj Chopra. The central bank has asked people to be a little cautious as doing so can protect them from a lot of troubles. A little caution takes care of a lot of trouble.
- The campaign sees Chopra urging users to not divulge details like OTP, CVV number and ATM PIN in front of anyone.
- The users should keep changing their online banking passwords and PIN numbers frequently and immediately block ATM card, credit card, debit card and/or prepaid card if one loses it. Block your card if stolen, lost or compromised.
(SOURCE: LIVE MINT)