- Civil aviation minister Jyotiradtiya Scindia has launched a first of its kind “Medicine from the Sky” project in Telangana.
- The project has aimed at transporting vaccines and other essential products to remote areas using drones.
- The Medicine from the Sky project will be taken up on a pilot basis in 16 green zones in Telangana and later scaled up on the national level based on data.
- About the schemes: “This ‘Medicines from the Sky’ project will be taken up in 16 green zones. The data will be analysed for three months.
- Along with the health ministry, IT ministry, state government and the Centre will together analyse the data and make a model for the whole country.
- Telangana Capital: Hyderabad.
- Telangana Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan.
- Telangana Chief minister: Chandrashekar Rao.
(SOURCE: HINDUSTAN TIMES)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the Sardardham Bhavan in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, via video conferencing.
- He also performed the “Bhoomi Pujan” of the Sardardham Phase-II Kanya Chhatralaya (girls’ hostel) project.
- Both these establishments are dedicated to the “Iron Man of India,” Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. The project is developed by the Vishwa Patidar Samaj.
- About the project: The state-of-the-art Sardardham Bhavan provides separate hostel facilities to girls and boys from rural areas who aspire for better career prospects.
- Phase I of the Sardardham Bhavan project is built over an area of 11,672 square feet at an estimated cost of Rs 200 crore, near the Vaishnodevi circle in the Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar border area. It will house 1,600 students, including 800 boys and 800 girls.
- The Phase II of the Sardardham project is expected to house around 2,000 girl students. The project will be built at the cost of another Rs 200 crore.
(SOURCE: INDIAN EXPRESS)
- Hyderabad-based International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) has been awarded the Africa Food Prize for 2021 for improving food security in sub-Saharan Africa.
- The Tropical Legumes Project developed 266 varieties of improved legumes and half a million tons of seeds for a range of legume crops, including cowpeas, pigeon peas, chickpea, common bean, groundnut, and soybean.
- The improved seeds benefitted over 25 million farmers in climate-resilient approaches and to control pest outbreaks across the region.
- About ICRISAT: ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political public international research organisation that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world.
(SOURCE: TIMES OF INDIA)
- North Korea was formally suspended from the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on 10th Sept as punishment for refusing to send a team to the Tokyo Games citing the COVID-19 pandemic.
- IOC president Thomas Bach said the North Korean national Olympic body will also now forfeit money it was due from the previous Olympics.
- The unspecified amount — potentially millions of dollars — had been withheld because of international sanctions.
- International Olympic Committee Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland.
- International Olympic Committee President: Thomas Bach.
- International Olympic Committee Founded: 23 June 1894 (Paris, France).
(SOURCE: JAGRAN JOSH)
- A book has titled ‘Human Rights and Terrorism in India’ authored by BJP MP Subramanian Swamy.
- He has come out with a book “Human Rights and Terrorism in India” which traces how the combating of terrorism can be harmonised with human and fundamental rights within reasonable restrictions that are permitted by the Constitution and upheld by the Supreme Court.
- It is the thesis of this study that to deter terror, India as a nation must foster a concept of identity.
- The release of three dreaded terrorists in exchange for hijacked Indian Airlines passengers in Afghanistan’s Kandahar in 1999 is the “worst capitulation” to terrorists in India”s modern history.
(SOURCE: HINDUSTAN TIMES)
- Lasith Malinga has announced his retirement from T20 cricket after 295 matches where he picked 390 wickets.
- He had already retired from Tests in 2011 and from ODIs in 2019. The Sri Lanka pacer had also announced his retirement from franchise cricket in January this year after being released by Mumbai Indians.
- Malinga was the first bowler to bag 100 T20I wickets before ending with 107 scalps. He finishes fourth in the highest wicket-taker category in the list behind Dwayne Bravo, Imran Tahir and Sunil Narine.
- Malinga, one of the best T20 bowlers of all time, was a crucial figure in the teams he represented in the Indian Premier League, Big Bash League, Caribbean Premier League, and other franchise tournaments.
- He was part of four of the five IPL championship wins with Mumbai Indians but had opted out of the 2020 tournament.
(SOURCE: LIVE MINT)
- The World Lymphoma Awareness Day (WLAD) is observed globally on September 15 every year.
- The day is dedicated to raising awareness about lymphoma and the particular emotional and psychosocial challenges facing patients and caregivers suffering from different forms of lymphoma.
- History of the day: World Lymphoma Day was initiated in 2002 by the Lymphoma Coalition(link is external), a worldwide network of 83 lymphoma patient groups based in Ontario, Canada, whose mission is enabling global impact by fostering a lymphoma ecosystem that ensures local change and evidence-based action.
- One of their key activities is to provide a centralised hub of reliable current information and a platform for member organisations to share resources, best practices, policies and procedures.