- Ministry of Jal Shakti has launched a ‘100 days campaign’ named SUJALAM to create more and more Open Defecation Free (ODF) Plus villages by undertaking wastewater management at the village level.
- The Campaign would help in the management of the wastewater and in turn, would help to revive the water bodies through the creation of 1 million Soak-pits and also other Greywater management activities.
- The campaign started on August 25, 2021, is part of the ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ celebrations.
- The three focus areas of the SUJALAM campaign are:
- Construction of 1 million soak pits;
- Retrofitting of toilets and
- Access to toilets for new households.
- Minister of Jal Shakti: Gajendra Singh Shekhawat.
(SOURCE: HINDUSTAN TIMES)
- Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Nirmala Sitharaman has announced the EASE 3.0 Awards. State Bank of India is the Overall winner of the EASE Reforms Index Award 2021 (EASE 3.0 Awards).
- Bank of Baroda is second and Union Bank of India is third. Indian Bank won the award for the best improvement from the baseline performance.
- SBI, BoB, Union Bank of India, Punjab National Bank and Canara Bank won the top awards in different themes of the PSB Reforms Agenda EASE 3.0.
- There were awards for various themes and the winners of these themes are given below:
- Smart Lending for Aspiring India —- Bank of Baroda
- Tech-enabled ease of Banking —- SBI
- Institutionalised Prudent Banking —- Bank of Baroda
- Governance and Outcome centric HR —- Union Bank of India
(SOURCE: FINANCIAL EXPRESS)
- An influential US lawmaker from New York reintroduced a resolution in the US House of Representatives to posthumously award the prestigious Congressional Gold Medal to Mahatma Gandhi in recognition of his promotion of peace and nonviolence.
- The Congressional Gold Medal is the highest civilian award in the United States.
- Gandhi would be the first Indian to receive a Congressional Gold Medal, an honour bestowed upon such great figures as George Washington, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., Mother Teresa, and Rosa Parks.
(SOURCE: JAGRAN JOSH)
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the re-appointment of Sandeep Bakhshi as the MD & CEO of ICICI Bank.
- This will be with effect from October 15, 2021, till October 3, 2023.
- The shareholders at the Annual General Meeting held on August 9, 2019 had already approved the appointment of Mr Bakhshi for a period effective from October 15, 2018, up to October 3, 2023.
- Bakshi, who was hand-picked by his mentors- KV Kamath and N Vaghul, took over the charge in October 2018, after his predecessor Chanda Kochhar’s exit following the ICICI Bank-Videocon loan controversy.
- ICICI Bank Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- ICICI Bank Tagline: Hum Hai Na, Khayal Apka.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the appointment of Hitendra Dave as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of HSBC Bank (India).
- RBI has accorded the approval for a period of three years with effect from August 24, 2021.
- In June 2021, HSBC had announced the appointment of Hitendra Dave as the Chief Executive Officer of HSBC India.
- Dave succeeds Surendra Rosha who, after three years, is moving to Hong Kong as the Co-Chief Executive of HSBC, Asia-Pacific.
- Hitendra Dave, formerly Head of Global Banking & Markets of HSBC India.
- HSBC Bank India Headquarters:
- HSBC Bank India Founded: 1853.
(SOURCE: THE ECONOMIC TIMES)
- Dubai Courts announced the establishment of a specialised court, focused on combating money laundering, within the Court of First Instance and Court of Appeal.
- This court ties into a string of initiatives aimed at reducing financial crimes and follows the recent establishment of the Executive Office of the Anti-Money Laundering & Countering the Financing of Terrorism.
- This move will enable our stakeholders to raise their efficiency in effectively implementing the National AML/CFT Strategy and National Action Plan and achieving its goals through an empowered and sustainable system.
(SOURCE: AL JAZEERA)
- The world’s largest and tallest observation wheel is set to be unveiled in Dubai, UAE on October 21, 2021.
- The observation wheel to be called as ‘Ain Dubai’, is 250 m (820 ft) in height, located at Bluewaters Island.
- The record-breaking wheel is 42.5 m (139 ft) taller than the current world’s tallest observation wheel, High Roller, in Las Vegas, measuring 167.6 m (550 ft).
- UAE Capital: Abu Dhabi.
- UAE Currency: United Arab Emirates dirham.
- UAE President: Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
(SOURCE: TIMES OF INDIA)
- Karnataka government has selected Sri Basavalinga Pattaddevaru, senior seer of Bhalki Hiremath, for the prestigious Sri Basava International Award.
- Minister for Kannada and Culture V. Sunil Kumar will present the award at Ravindra Kalakshetra in Bengaluru.
- The septuagenarian seer has spent over five decades in the Lingayat religious institution in the Bidar district.
- The centre was set up in 2003 when an abandoned baby from Ujani village near Aurad in Bidar district was adopted.
- The seer moved the court to adopt the child. The Central and State governments later recognised the centre as an authorised Central adoption resource agency.
- Chief Minister of Karnataka: Basavaraj S Bommai.
- Karnataka Governor: Thawar Chand Gehlot.
(SOURCE: HINDUSTAN TIMES)