- India will hold the G20 presidency from December 1, 2022, and will convene the G20 leaders’ summit in 2023 for the first time.
- Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Minister has been appointed as India’s Sherpa for the G20 in 2023 (18th edition).
- A sherpa is a diplomat who undertakes preparatory work prior to a summit conference.
- The 2021 edition of the G20 meet will be held in Rome, Italy. The 2022 G20 meet will be held in Bali, Indonesia.
(SOURCE: THE PRINT)
- The Government of Gujarat announced, that it plans on undertaking public welfare projects worth Rs. 1,000 crores jointly with non-resident Gujaratis by December 2022.
- The projects will be under the state government’s ‘Vatan Prem Yojana’. The Yojana was launched in Gujarat focusing on rural development through public and state contributions.
- Under this scheme: The state government will undertake various rural development projects and activities.
- This scheme will be undertaken with 40% state government’s contribution and 60% contribution from the general public.
- The state government has invited Non-Resident Gujaratis and NRIs are also invited to contribute. This scheme aims to provide them with an opportunity to change their love for the nation into service for the nation.
- This scheme aims at making the rural areas self-reliant. It is an important step in the holistic development of villages.
Projects covered under the Vatan prem yojana will cover village-level projects such as:
- Smart classes in schools and Library
- Community hall, Primary health centre and Anganwadi
- CCTV surveillance system,
- Water recycling, drainage, sewage treatment and beautification of ponds.
- Solar energy powered streetlights, etc.
(SOURCE: INDIAN EXPRESS)
- Union Minister of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change, Bhupender Yadav launched a portal named PRANA, for the regulation of air pollution in 132 cities across the country.
- PRANA stands for Portal for Regulation of Air pollution in Non-Attainment cities.
- The portal (prana.cpcb.gov.in) will support tracking of physical as well as the financial status of city air action plan implementation and disseminate information on air quality to the public.
- The cities which come under the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) will be covered.
- Apart from this, the Union Minister also dedicated the first functional smog tower of India, installed in Anand Vihar in New Delhi to the country.
(SOURCE: MONEY CONTROL)
- India’s tallest air purification tower has been inaugurated in the Union Territory of Chandigarh.
- The tower has been installed at the initiative of the Chandigarh Pollution Control Committee (CPCC) at Transport Chowk, Sector 26, by Pious Air Pvt Limited.
- This is the highest air purifier tower of the country and covers an area of around a 500-metre radius and is 24-metre-high.
- The purification tower will clean 3.88 crore cubic ft of air from the surrounding environment.
(SOURCE: LIVE MINT)
- Portuguese captain Cristiano Ronaldo has broken the world record for most goals scored in men’s international football.
- Ronaldo surpassed Iranian striker Ali Daei’s long-held record of 109 international goals by scoring a brace against Ireland in a World Cup Qualifier.
- Ronaldo at 36 years of age is now a Guinness world record holder of most international goals of all time with 111 goals.
- The Guinness world book of records has recognised Cristiano Ronaldo as a world record breaker for the most goals scored in international football (soccer) matches scored by an individual (male).
- Ronaldo achieved the feat scoring goals for his native Portugal between 2003 and 2021 proactively over a span of 18 years with a career still going strong as he looks to overcome yet another new challenge after his move away from Turin with a year left on his contract with the Bianconeri.
(SOURCE: TIMES OF INDIA)
- Tata AIA Life Insurance has announced the signing of a multi-year brand partnership with Indian athlete and Olympic gold medallist Neeraj Chopra, as its brand ambassador.
- This association also marks the very first brand partnership to be signed with the champion javelin thrower, post his historic win at the recent Tokyo Olympics.
- Neeraj Chopra closely embodies Tata AIA’s vision of enabling dreams and inspiring healthier and happier lives and its core value of passion for excellence.
- He has consistently set high benchmarks and pioneered change through dedication to his sport. Over the next few years, Neeraj will support Tata AIA’s efforts in offering solutions to its consumers across the country.
(SOURCE: THE ECONOMIC TIMES)
- International Day to Protect Education from Attack is observed globally on 9th September.
- In proclaiming the International Day to Protect Education from Attack to be celebrated for the first time in 2020.
- The purpose of the day is to raise awareness regarding the importance of safeguarding schools as places of protection and safety for students and educators and the need to keep education at the top of the public agenda.
- Background of the day: The day was established by a unanimous decision of the UN General Assembly, calling on UNESCO and UNICEF to raise awareness of the plight of millions of children living in countries affected by conflict.
- The resolution proclaiming the Day was presented by the State of Qatar and co-sponsored by 62 countries.
- UNESCO headquarters: Paris, France.
- UNESCO Head: Audrey Azoulay.
- UNESCO Founded: 16 November 1945.
- UNICEF Executive Director: Henrietta H. Fore.
- UNICEF Founded: 11 December 1946.
- UNICEF Headquarters: New York, United States.